Thunderbird corrupted networking over hidden services

Thunderbird somehow after torbirdy removed because of its outdated and not compatible with the current Thunderbird version, trying to link your email smtp/pop over tor hidden services just doesnt work. I tried this with riseup and danwin1210 email providers both doesnt work, Testing it using plain debian + tor + proxychains + thunderbird it will work fine.

I opened ticket with riseup they confirmed to me that all their servers working and they are using onion hidden services.

So the issue within whonix firewall or so.

1 Like

danwin1210.me onions are currently working fine for me with thunderbird.

1 Like

Whonix Qubes?

and what is your Thunderbird network config IP , Portā€¦

and i assume nothing opened in firewall than the vanilla firewall rules
coming with whonix?

1 Like

if youā€™re using qubes, that may be the difference. This is with kvm on a debian host. thereā€™s nothing particularly modified about it. whonix firewall is at deafults. thunderbird connection ip/port = 10.152.152.10:9102

1 Like

got new report for the same issue on IRC, this is whonix-qubes issue.

The problem is occurred due to default network setting from Thunderbird.
Follow it below. Iā€™ve got this settings from Tails OS.

Edit (from Thunderbird Menu Bar) -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Network & Disk Space -> Connection -> Settingsā€¦
-> Select ā€˜Manual proxy configuration:ā€™
-> Type SOCKS HOST: ā€˜127.0.0.1ā€™ Port: ā€˜9050ā€™
-> Check ā€˜SOCKS v5ā€™
-> Check ā€˜Proxy DNS when using SOCKS v5ā€™

Iā€™ve tested Whonix VirtualBox 15.0.1.3.4.

issue resolved somehow on qubes, How? i dont have good reasons.

(Unrelated to the fixation) But One of the stupid stuff i found in Thunderbird it blocks onion dns by default?!

Preferences -> Advanced -> Configure Editorā€¦ -> network.dns.blockDotOnion (set it to false)

No idea why this option even exist and enabled by default.

the same thing will happen on debian for apt. this is assuming a non-whonix like install. in such a scenario, if tor is not running, the software will not try to connect to an onion for privacy purposes, since your isp could see that you made a request to a specific ā€œonion.ā€ in short, itā€™s to keep site specific leaks from happening that could correlate a user to a site.

1 Like

My ISP can see which .onion (hidden service) i request? i didnt get this well

Firefox and Thunderbird are developed from perspective of clearnet
users. I.e. users who donā€™t use Tor.

Such users when entering an onion domain would not be able to reach them
because they donā€™t use Tor. But the browser / e-mail clientā€™s DNS lookup
for the onion would be visible by the usual DNS server of the user -
which is in most cases the userā€™s ISP.

2 Likes