I can’t run tb-updater and don’t know if it’s been depreciated or if i was hacked somehow.
i checked sudo debsums -s * and ran sudo apt install --reinstall tb-updater and it still won’t run no matter what i do.
is this expected?
I can’t run tb-updater and don’t know if it’s been depreciated or if i was hacked somehow.
i checked sudo debsums -s * and ran sudo apt install --reinstall tb-updater and it still won’t run no matter what i do.
is this expected?
Could you run update-torbrowser --input gui in a terminal, then copy and paste the exact output into a forum reply? (There was a bug in the GUI user interface that I created a fix for, but it may not be published yet. If the above command doesn’t just work, try just update-torbrowser and see if that works.)
See:
(Note: Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)
update-torbrowser --input gui
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Not running in a Qubes TemplateVM, ok.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: ARCH ‘x86_64’ detected.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: ARCH_DOWNLOAD ‘linux-x86_64’ detected.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: CURL_PROXY: ‘–proxy socks5h://10.152.152.10:9115 --proxy-user 0:tb-updater_36KFCOGhVdRRbS4eMIW9b1934dWgjtCwN8tvodMcz9T’
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Not running inside Qubes Disposable Template, ok.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Using stable version. For alpha version, see: Tor Browser Essentials
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Running network interface available check…
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Network interface available.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Running Tor enabled check…
/usr/libexec/helper-scripts/tor_enabled_check: line 43: file_name_list: unbound variable
zsh: exit 1 update-torbrowser --input gui
I am not running in a qubes template, I am running in virt-manager
also
update-torbrowser
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Not running in a Qubes TemplateVM, ok.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: ARCH ‘x86_64’ detected.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: ARCH_DOWNLOAD ‘linux-x86_64’ detected.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: CURL_PROXY: ‘–proxy socks5h://10.152.152.10:9115 --proxy-user 0:tb-updater_oCtvHPpf0p0ttPK9PU03WabMgTefrBnwJvteq6M8VJR’
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Not running inside Qubes Disposable Template, ok.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Using stable version. For alpha version, see: Tor Browser Essentials
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Running network interface available check…
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Network interface available.
update-torbrowser (user) [NOTICE]: Running Tor enabled check…
/usr/libexec/helper-scripts/tor_enabled_check: line 43: file_name_list: unbound variable
zsh: exit 1 update-torbrowser
Yeah, this is the bug I fixed. You should get the fix via normal software updates. If you need to make things work now, boot into sysmaint mode, run sudo nano /usr/libexec/helper-scripts/tor_enabled_check, then apply this change:
(Just move your cursor to where the highlighted-green lines should be in the file, then type them in, save, and exit.)
So I had to reinstall whonix kvm.
Things work really poorly with the new disposible and sys-maint distinctions.
When can I update tor browser? Because it isn’t updated via package manager, and when it downloads in the browser that doesn’t save, and the other options won’t work.
I’ve had Tor Browser break multiple times in kvm when trying to update. It’s not clear what mode I need to be in system maintenance or other modes and when I do use update-torbrowser, I don’t know which version to run it in and it keeps not working. I’ve tried so many times.
There’s also nothing in help on how to deal with this. If Tor Browser is corrupted, how do I reinstall?
I really hope whonix becomes less difficult to use in kvm. It used to work very well with few issues. I realize this version may be more secure but usability is worse.
In Whonix KVM, the best way to update Tor Browser is to run update-torbrowser from a user session, not a sysmaint session. You can use the Tor Browser Downloader button in the Start Menu for this purpose.
Run update-torbrowser.
If you do the following:
does that work? If not, please share the exact error messages you see (or specify clearly that the program just dies without showing an error message). If you do see the program die for no apparent reason, please open a terminal while in PERSISTENT Mode | USER Session, then run update-torbrowser, run through the prompts it displays, and share with us the error message you see in the terminal when it dies.