Tb-updater 0.6.1-1 - Testers Wanted!

[html]

tb-updater 0.6.1-1 has been added to Whonix’s testers repository. It is a planned stable upgrade.

Fixed remote download location to cope up with The Tor Project’s changes. Should be able to download Tor Browser 4.0.1.

See also:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Whonix-APT-Repository

Please test!

[/html]

Tested. OK, Tor Browser 4.0.1 installed.

Migrated to stable repository.

[html]

Will this also fix the problem with Whonix Check claiming TBB needs to be updated when it is up to date?

Given that TBB now includes its own updater (which doesn’t require me to redo every setting on each update) I’m not sure if there’s that much point in Whonix having one.

[/html]

[html]

1) Yes.

2) Have they enabled it yet? I haven’t see it in action yet.

[/html]

[html]

Well the in-browser updater updated it for me once I went to Help – About Tor Browser so I’d say they have (I believe they only enabled it for 4.0.1 on Windoze).

[/html]

[html]

Interesting. Help → About works also in Linux. Although it’s difficult to find, since they hided the menu bar by default in that release. TorButton however still advises to download from torproject.org. I guess they will fix that in next major version.

A separate Tor Browser Updater still makes sense. For initial installation of Tor Browser as well as for clean re-installs.

[/html]

[html]

Oh yes, I use classic theme restorer to bring TBB back to some semblance of a decent UI so forgot about the whole hiding menubar by default crap.

For initial installation you probably don’t need an updater, just include the latest TBB at the time of release though for clean profiles it would come in handy (and may also be useful if a change happens that TBB’s updater can’t handle, at the moment it’s only mac users who have that in their future).

[/html]

[html]

I don’t think it’s a good idea to use the theme restorer. Remote websites can likely detect this due to different browser window size. Unless The Tor Project fixed that issue it is recommend against to change this. Otherwise you stand out from other Tor users.

Including it by default is no option unfortunately, due to trademark issues:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/TPO_Trademark

And even if we could install it by default, we’d still need a downloader that automates downloading during the build.

[/html]

[html]

The browser can’t tell I’m using classic theme restorer with javascript disabled which it usually is, if I enable it I assume that I’m only pseudonymous anyway.

I’m also pretty sure that I’m not the only person who is using it.

[/html]

[html]

Resolution can also be read without javascript. ip-check.info demonstrates that.

[/html]

[html]

Which brings up the question of how they managed to do that and what can be done about it?

It certainly seems to be a problem especially for those who need to be fully anonymous.

[/html]

[html]

This question is best directed at the TBB developers. They may or may not have an existing bug report for this.

[/html]