SUDO & KVM = Unable to connect to libvirt

is the KVM always needs to have the password of the Super User in order to make it work ?

each time i open the kvm it tells me to enter my password:-

and if u wait without entering ur password it will say:-

Unable to connect to libvirt.

error from service: CheckAuthorization: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

and if u press on details button it will show u:-

Unable to connect to libvirt.

error from service: CheckAuthorization: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py”, line 1020, in _open_thread
self._backend.open(self._do_creds_password)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/connection.py”, line 158, in open
open_flags)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py”, line 105, in openAuth
if ret is None:raise libvirtError(‘virConnectOpenAuth() failed’)
libvirtError: error from service: CheckAuthorization: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

is normal ? how to overcome this question on each time i open the kvm ?

Note:- i didnt add user to my SUDO/root list , which mean in order to become root i should type SU then password then for e,g apt-get update or …etc. i dunno if this has any relation witha the problem here. but i mention it because i didnt have this in the past.

also forgot to mention , that when i download/install the KVM alone i open it = it wasnt asking me for the root passowrd. but when i installed Whonix inside it = kept asking me that.

Good day,

this behaviour is normal, here a way to bypass it: Run virsh and access libvirt as a regular user · Major Hayden

Have a nice day,

Ego

thnx for the link , but he make it work inside arch linux. wonder if u can give it for debian users.

Good day,

under Debian, you just add your username to the “libvirt” group. Was actually explained in our wiki, see: Whonix ™ for KVM

Thought you didn’t use Debian since you asked.

Have a nice day,

Ego

to be honest i have read kvm doc three times before but it seems very hard for me remember what it was mentioning regarding this type of issue. thnx for the refreshment :rose: