Split-bitcoin and preventing the identity of electrum wallets from being linked

It is to my knowledge that all of the wallets belonging to the Electrum client of a particular workstation are easily linked. This is because said addresses are queried together on the same server. So to overcome this you would merely have an Electrum client dedicated workstation for each identity, right? Now, if you have a split-bitcoin system, does it make a difference to have had the wallets of each separate client vm be generated by the same cold-storage vm?

Good day,

Yes, unless you use different instances of Electrum (like you suggested, by using multiple workstations) the same server will be used per default. Also, as far as I can tell, the algorithm employed for creating wallets is designed in a way which makes it untraceable to the system it was created on. Only transactions are logged via blockchain.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Is there a significant difference in security between having distinct master keys for each workstation compared to having one master key for all workstations? Given that you wouldn’t use the same address between workstations in either case. Seeing as only the transactions are logged via the blockchain.

Good day,

While the likelihood of comprimising your other addresses simply because you use the same master-key may appear small, as long as you keep them separate, I wouldn’t recommend it. Your password, once out, could land inside a password dictionary and thus be used for subsequent attacks. I’d use different passwords.

Have a nice day,

Ego