[Solved]Vbox error in starting Whonix Gateway

Hello. I try to import whonix-gateway by setting 130MB RAM, it is successful but when I start the Gateway by clicking green arrow button above, it says

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Mint. The virtual machine 'Mint' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit$ Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) Component: Machine Interface: IMachine {5eaa9319-62fc-4b0a-843c-0cb1940f8a91}

Also, in another error box says kernel module missing and to install it, I must run “/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup”

I run that command under terminal with sudo from admin account of my Mint, but it says command not found.
Is it because I use OSE instead of non-free proprietary? :frowning:

Thanks.

Also, in another error box says kernel module missing and to install it, I must run "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup"
Maybe you have to reboot after installing virtualbox.

Looks like something went wrong installing VirtualBox. Most likely also other VMs, non-Whonix VMs won’t work for you as well? In that case, not a issue introduced by Whonix. Most likely a mint/VirtualBox related problem.

Please post the output of.

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get purge virtualbox* sudo apt-get install virtualbox linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Likely you also didn’t have kernel headers installed. No idea why the virtualbox package doesn’t depend on kernel headers.

Whonix doesn’t require any non-ose features. In other words it doesn’t require the non-ose extension pack. For sure.

Let’s look at the Debian packages, which are apparently mirrored by mint.

The main package is:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/virtualbox

The -ose package (Debian -- Error) is deprecated. Not because there is no ose version anymore, just because the non-ose stuff can be downloaded from virtualbox.org and is called “Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack” - no longer in the main package.

Looking at the “Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack” documentation (Chapter 1. First Steps)…

Additional extension packs can be downloaded which extend the functionality of the VirtualBox base package. Currently, Oracle provides the one extension pack, which can be found at http://www.virtualbox.org and provides the following added functionality:
The virtual USB 2.0 (EHCI) device; see Section 3.10.1, “USB settings”.

VirtualBox Remote Desktop Protocol (VRDP) support; see Section 7.1, “Remote display (VRDP support)”.

Host webcam passthrough; see chapter Section 9.7.1, “Using a host webcam in the guest”.

Intel PXE boot ROM.

Experimental support for PCI passthrough on Linux hosts; see Section 9.6, “PCI passthrough”.</blockquote>

These are additional features. None of this is required to start a VM.

There is currently another issue with VirtualBox free/non-free, but it will be a problem in Debian jessie (testing at time of writing) based host operating systems. This issue seems to be unrelated from this one and you can read a bit more about it here:

Installing Linux-headers and restarting fixed the problem.
Thank you for the detailed reply.
I fear proprietary stuff, that’s why I was bit scared in the previous post the question about non-free Virtualbox.