["SOLVED" i suppose] Debian 12 whonix-xfce-installer-cli reports packages can be upgraded although already upgraded - non-English language bug

whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Command executing: $ sudo – apt-get update --yes --error-on=any
— list of repos here —
Чтение списков пакетов…
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Command executing: $ sudo – apt-get full-upgrade --simulate
Чтение списков пакетов…
Построение дерева зависимостей…
Чтение информации о состоянии…
Расчёт обновлений…
Обновлено 0 пакетов, установлено 0 новых пакетов, для удаления отмечено 0 пакетов, и 0 пакетов не обновлено.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Package Upgrade Simulation: Package upgrades available.

invalid packages can be upgraded.

whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Installer aborting.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [INFO]: Time elapsed: 9s.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Executed script, function, command executed: ‘./whonix-xfce-installer-cli’ ‘die’ ‘exit “${1}”’
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Installer exited with code: ‘1’

==========

what particular packages does it wants to be upgraded??
why woudn’t it tell this even in debug mode?
where it looks when it says that error?
whats wrong there’s no errors in apt-get upgrade & dpkg --configure -a
help please

Could be a bug in Whonix for VirtualBox Linux Installer. My guess is that the code that parses the number packages to be upgraded is broken by the non-English system language.

Your options until this gets fixed…

If you’re sure you’ve already run,

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

you could either,

--noupdate

Because that might circumvent the broken code.

yeah it looks like. i’ve found logs and discovered that install module is just a “simple” bash script. and there’s more and more errors coming tonight. so the right choice could be manual installation. really) thanx bro)

Above reported bug fixed new version uploaded.

I’ll also try to figure out how to set a few non-English languages for our automated tests so we hopefully can catch such bugs before they happen.

If you have other related bug reports I am happy to look into them.

there was a simular problem in installer related to fasttrack repo. but i can’t remember exactly (and erased all logs already), cause i gave up with installer and installed manually. if you interested in bugs (not only in installer) i try to post here when i meet them.

…for now it hangs completely in 15 seconds after starting workstation. and there’s a message about wrong settings in virtual memory in workstation properties. says that 3,5 of 4gb selected but in fact there’s a slider on 2048. and i’m fighting with this weirdness. and i think that it’s a virtualbox bug

Make sure that is not a message by swap-file-creator.
swap isn’t RAM.
Btw just because that’s the only visible message, doesn’t mean it’s cased by swap-file-creator.

See also:

Please open new forum threads for issues unrelated to this topic about Whonix VirtualBox installer for Linux versus upgrade check.

1 issue = 1 forum topic please.