security-misc & other Kicksecure packages on Arch

I was wondering if security-misc and the other hardened configurations for Kicksecure were possible to build on arch, are there any serious incompatibilities or things that would be need to be remade?

If it’s not possible to apply these to arch, is there an equivalent setup that exists for arch?

Other than older packages/stability and probably easier to maintain, are there any security reasons to use debian over arch for a base?

Not sure if this is the right category feel free to move if it isn’t.

59mpci2GJ5xlHhY via Whonix Forum:

I was wondering if security-misc and the other hardened configurations for Kicksecure were possible to build on arch, are there any serious incompatibilities or things that would be need to be remade?

Theoretically possible to use on arch, yes. But nobody working on that
as far as I know.

is there an equivalent setup that exists for arch?

Not that I know.

Other than older packages/stability and probably easier to maintain, are there any security reasons to use debian over arch for a base?

All notes, considerations here:

Interesting read, the reasons for Debian are definitely understandable.

Arch Linux

TODO: Check its package manager security. (See above.)

It was very easy to configure pacman to get updates via tor & https, however I could not find any mirrors that use .onion, this is an advantage for Debian.

Arch based distributions do seem to have a large userbase, great wiki and pacman is very convenient to use, but I’m unaware how secure it is, I’m gonna have to do some research on that when I have time.

Debian does seem to be a good choice as a base, I won’t contend that but I’m definitely curious about the possibility of sharing some packages with Arch since Arch seems to be very morphable and might not take much to be ‘kicksecured’.

1 Like

Please go ahead . The more use and attention our work gets, the better for the whole ecosystem.

1 Like

I’ve tried this a few times but found it too tedious and the packaging system really doesn’t help. Most of the files can be applied fine but some can’t. For example, /etc/default/grub.d, /etc/kernel/postinst.d, /etc/initramfs-tools, etc. don’t exist on Arch so you’d have to mess with some Arch alternative.

If you want to try this though, GitHub - helixarch/debtap: A script for converting .deb packages into Arch Linux packages, focused on accuracy may help.

1 Like
1 Like

There is the hardened malloc in the AUR
also you could run the hardened kernel, and switch to wayland.
I tried these but arch was just to unstable for me.