Remove Xarchiver package without removing whonix packages?

I don’t use Xarchiver. It is inadequate for creating password-protected 7-Zip files in Thunar using thunar-archive-plugin. I use and prefer file-roller instead.

However, for some reason when I do apt remove xarchiver, whonix forces me to uninstall some core whonix packages.

I see I can apt-mark hold whonix_dev_package_name, but that’s cumbersome. Is there a better way to do this? Why is Xarchiver forcibly linked to other whonix packages when there’s other alternatives the user may want to use like ark or file-roller? (Or even PeaZip.)

Technical limitations. Documented here:

@Patrick I already saw that page. Don’t think it explains xarchiver though. Why can’t we remove it on its own?

That page explains is generically for any package which is affected by this. xarchiver is part of a meta package (kicksecure-desktop-applications-xfce). Also not easy to uninstall other applications which such as xchat, keepassxc, vlc and others (dependency of whonix-workstation-packages-recommended-gui).

Please specifically see Debian Packages - Whonix and then follow all links.

Debian packages support only Recommends: or Depends:. There is nothing in the middle. The missing feature is:

Weak-Depends: list of packages that gets installed when using apt --no-install-recommends but any package listed there can be removed without removing the package which referenced the Weak-Depends:

The related forum discussion: