Remove mentions of privacytools

privacytools.io is full of advertisements referral and bad suggestions. privacyguides.org is much better.

1 Like

The only relevant mention is on Additional Provider Lists which links to PrivacyTools.io Email Providers List and that very page seems good enough, isn’t an endorsement of the whole domain, as for any link.

Added a link to Encrypted Private Email Recommendations - Privacy Guides as well now.

I surely don’t want to get involved into doing a site-wide content review for any cursory links from the wiki. There’s surely some disagreeable stuff on all domains.

I do not wish to get involved into the PrivacyTools versus PrivacyGuides conflict.

2 Likes

Also at Instant Messenger Chat

you can create an account on the privacytools.io

which no longer exists.

1 Like

The only relevant mention is on Additional Provider Lists which links to PrivacyTools.io Email Providers List and that very page seems good enough

and skiff that was literally acquired by notion

They are doing their best to offer recommendation and maintain good reputation unlike privacytools.

I do not wish to get involved into the PrivacyTools versus PrivacyGuides conflict.

I understand, but we are discussing it in a technical point of view, which may put some Whonix users in risk.

Most of their recommendation is affiliate grab SEO shit like their crypto page. In title “No KYC” then proceeds to recommend Binance.

2 Likes

Where did you find that link? That’s not really a valid link. Not something that users usually find. That’s just the wiki history and can stay there.

It’s not going to contribute the PrivacyTools SEO because anything under /w/ is noindex for search engines to avoid content duplication and the wiki history leaking into, confusing search results.

In theory it could be deleted from the wiki history but that would be excessive.

Alright so since PrivacyTools unfortunately devolved form a (github) project with issues, discussions, pull request into something else… Removed that e-mail list link just now.

2 Likes

oh you, you referenced it at Remove HexChat (unmaintained) - #4 by Patrick, Nheko (Reborn) - Matrix Chat Client - #3 by Patrick

1 Like

You mean: Nheko (Reborn) - Matrix Chat Client - #3 by Patrick

https://www.whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Chat&oldid=59733#Nheko

Yeah, occasionally links to wiki diffs or historic versions are posted in context of documentation / development discussions. But this is not what users find when navigating on the page homepage → documentation → chat. Does not show up there. Neither shows up on search engines.

Users reading discussions on development, documentation should be clever enough to not read stuff from the history and use that for up-to-date documentation.

Edited that post just now as I guess it doesn’t matter much nowadays.

But also seems wrong, excessive to go through all the forums and wipe any mentions of that domain name, from changelogs, etc.

1 Like

Nope, I didn’t mean that, I thought it was part of the website :sweat_smile: .

1 Like