remodeling/fixing whonix homepage ui

There are stuff need to be changed on whonx homepage and summarized here:

:two: Add one more group and name it “Jobs” and it will refer to wiki page which contains job vacancies , tasks , with paid and volunteer parts.

:three: The written line is blurred not really clear and hurt the eyes.

:four: Add heart,gift… symbols to the wiki and makes it more refreshing

:six: Its not really necessary saying that , because its already defined below what is whonix “Whonix is a desktop …”, so “High Security Method of Surfing the Internet” is enough and great.

number :one: and :five: they are clear no need to explain them.

1 Like

1.) Disagree. The logo in that spot is quite usual.

2.) Ok.

3.) Agreed.

4.) Agreed.

5.) I don’t see why the Download Now button should be moved down?

Disagree. It’s a headline which tends to be copied/pasted.

search engine: “Whonix: A High Security Method of Surfing the Internet”

I also don’t see why “with Whonix” should be scratched.

1 Like

i wanted to make it down so it will give space for other groups e.g “Jobs”

related with reason 1

because if u done point 1 , it will be like “Whonix Stay anonymous with Whonix” which is not really making good sense for readers.

It’s a logo. It’s a design (website layout template). The design persists on all pages. (There is just two pages https://www.whonix.org and https://www.whonix.org/download/ at this point.) It’s customary on most websites to keep the logo and navigation bar the same for all pages.

Re-Add “THE INTERNET DEFENSE LEAGUEshield badge which has been removed (i dunno the reason) from the new whonix homepage.

I confused this with

Whonix is a licensee of the Open Invention Network.

THE INTERNET DEFENSE LEAGUEshield badge

I guess it was never part of https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix-Website. Only part of https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Portal. IDL is not very active anymore. No need to deal with it now.

I see it as not really we describing well all the distros that whonix might run above mention in our homepage. as whonix can run over vbox whether its GNU/Linux or Unix or Solars or X OS.

to fix that:-

• Change the images and description instead of operating system photos (windows,linux,macos) , then we put virtualization images like Vbox , KVM , Qubes/Xen (Qubes can be kept the same) , Physical hardware.

also static home page can be modified and upgraded to dynamic one and i see this project have great idea:

Hi nurmagoz

I think operating system description/photos are more recognizable than virtualization images. Inexperienced users won’t even bother to go any further if they don’t see their OS listed as supported. Most won’t even know what a hypervisor is. Plus I don’t know of any other major OS stating all the platforms that their software is compatible with. Just the main/most popular ones. Replacing what we currently have will just lead to confusion IMO.

1 Like

solution would be something like this maybe:

virtualbox

WinOSLogo

…etc for the rest of the virtualizers. (its just needs some creative design)

i just wanted to say that we as well support all of the platforms , not just what is mentioned on the homepage. e.g: users of BSD,Solaris,GNU/Hurd…etc once they see only the operating systems listed there then they run away, whereas this is not actually the case they just need to use the hypervisor which we support regardless what the distro is, because as you know whonix doenst work on any distro without the hypervisor. So if the hypervisor supporting an OS or dropped supported an OS then we are linked to that.

On the other hand too much detail chases away other users.

I would expect users of BSD,Solaris,GNU/Hurd and alike who went through the lengths of using these operating systems to not be discouraged about only reading “Linux”. They would be used to that already. There are always conflicting choices what to focus on and what to leave out. Impossible to suit everyone at once.

Sometimes razor blade / simplicity is best.

2 Likes

Interesting , Good other explanation of the same case.

rename Linux -> GNU/Linux

No.

I am not convinced by any of the arguments

GNU/X11/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/systemd is absurd. No one speaks GNU/Linux. I don’t think GNU [...] either. And Linux is the established word in common language.

I consider a debate of this pointless and only willing to reconsider if most Whonix contributors feel strongly about this.

EDIT:

Related:

When Linus Torvalds was asked in the documentary Revolution OS whether the name “GNU/Linux” was justified, he replied:

Well, I think it’s justified, but it’s justified if you actually make a GNU distribution of Linux … the same way that I think that “Red Hat Linux” is fine, or “SuSE Linux” or “Debian Linux”, because if you actually make your own distribution of Linux, you get to name the thing, but calling Linux in general “GNU Linux” I think is just ridiculous

Not a matter of write or wrong. Pointless to debate.

1 Like