Qubes-Whonix persistent connection failing (specific bug)

putting Qubes to sleep is a problem to Whonix, how is that?

now follow these steps to produce the error:-

• open qubes

• open whonix (both GW&WS) and make sure u r aware of this bug Whonix Forum

• now keep Whonix working inside Qubes VM manager , go to “Application Launcher Menu” (the blue Q on the left corner) then go to “Leave” then choose “Sleep”

what will happen is:- the network connection will shutdown while qubes sleeping , whonix cant understand this (from my reasoning) so it wont work.

this is simply how to make Whonix connection fail to connect to the internet again , is that the only problem ? no but it goes further:-

Whonix wont ever connect again to the internet no matter how many times u shutdown it. except if u restart the entire Qubes.

so if someone asked how about if we turn OFF/ON “sys-firewall”&“sys-net”? wont that considered similarly to turning off Qubes ?

thought that also , but it is not same. if u gonna try that u r going to face this message from Whonix whonixcheck:-

[code]msgdispatcher script bug.
no panic. nothing is broken. just some rare connection been hit.
try again later.There is likely a solution for this problem.
please see whonix news, whonix blog and whonix user help forum.
please report this bug!

error_text: kdialog --title “$identifier” --passivepopup “$text” “$time”
last exit_code: 127[/code]

why i considered this as a specific bug? because other appVMs r working (like personal , untrusted …etc. the internet connection is there)

putting Qubes to sleep is a problem to Whonix, how is that?
Sleep [for too long] in a VM is a general problem to Tor. https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Security_Guide#Power_Saving_Considerations
Whonix wont ever connect again to the internet no matter how many times u shutdown it. except if u restart the entire Qubes.

so if someone asked how about if we turn OFF/ON “sys-firewall”&“sys-net”? wont that considered similarly to turning off Qubes ?

After turning off/on sys-firewall and sys-net (by using “sudo poweroff”), any existing VMs will no longer be able connect to the internet until you restart them. Qubes upstream issue:

So for now, the closest to a Qubes restart is to shut down all VMs, Then start sys-net. Then start sys-firewall. Then start Whonix. That should work?

if u gonna try that u r going to face this message from Whonix whonixcheck:-

[code]msgdispatcher script bug.
no panic. nothing is broken. just some rare connection been hit.
try again later.There is likely a solution for this problem.
please see whonix news, whonix blog and whonix user help forum.
please report this bug!

error_text: kdialog --title “$identifier” --passivepopup “$text” “$time”
last exit_code: 127[/code]

Most likely you don’t have kdialog installed. Will be fixed in Whonix 12. In meanwhile, install kdialog in your Whonix TemplateVMs:

sudo apt-get install kde-baseapps-bin
sleep works for me.

it works for me 2 , i didnt have problem with that…

Only problem is i have to manually reconnect to the internet. When waking, qubes makes another network connection named after the interface. So i go to network manager and delete that and then qubes automatically reconnects to my original connection. I have not other issues. All my apps work, for example xchat automatically reconnect to irc in whonix.

well thats what im talking about. sleep/wake making whonix not understanding this which will lead to persistent fail to connect again. so the behavior of how qubes react to the sleep/wake should be known by whonix as well.

Sleep [for too long] in a VM is a general problem to Tor. https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Security_Guide#Power_Saving_Considerations

not too long , u can try it on ur computer just press “sleep” then press the “power button”

So for now, the closest to a Qubes restart is to shut down all VMs, Then start sys-net. Then start sys-firewall. Then start Whonix. That should work?

nope didnt work either.

Most likely you don't have kdialog installed. Will be fixed in Whonix 12. In meanwhile, install kdialog in your Whonix TemplateVMs:

Code: [Select]

sudo apt-get install kde-baseapps-bin

aha ok cool will do it.

Works for me with Qubes Q3 and News - Whonix Forum.

Works for me with Qubes Q3 and https://www.whonix.org/blog/qubes-whonix-12-test-images.

well then its specific to Whonix 11 + Qubes R3

when whonix 12 going to be for testers i will try it out.

yeah tested and it is working fine with whonix 12 :+1: