Qubes-Whonix 14.0.0.6.9 TemplateVMs for R3.2 and R4--Testers Wanted!

BTW, I personally sometimes prefer posting text than posting pictures because:

1. easy for searching so that the error discussion may be helpful for people in the future
  2. easy to quote, so that we can have a better context in discussion
  3. reveal less info: info like time or metadata in the picture can be obscured or avoided.
1 Like

still not working

do think i have a choice ? maybe u forgot that there is no way to shift text or anything from whonix to any other place. so im taking screenshots for the problems and then move them from Qubes to other VM. sorry if thats bothers u but no way to solve for now unless this going to be fixed in the next release or doing a working it.

2 Likes

The first draft of the instructions was mirroring the Whonix-13 call for tester blog post (with a few edits). Those instructions told readers to follow the steps in the Qubes manual reistallatioin method debian to install Templates (which I tested-worked). Unfortunately I made edits to the draft after it was posted which made the instruction invalid.

@torjunkie this one is on me. I should have went through the draft after edits to make sure the instructions were still sound. Not only that I should have combined the instructions into one page. Lesson learned.

@unman Thanks for taking the time to go through the draft and point those issues out. Much appreciated!

ATM editing the draft to include all steps on one page and fixing mistakes i.e. umans suggestions. Also testing instructions before they are posted.

Thanks again unman!!

3 Likes

Well, it is another problem this time.

I never met this problem before. Let’s wait for @Patrick and see what’s his opinion on this?

Sorry I did not realize there was a problem. The shift+control+c trick has been working fine for me.

1 Like

It was not clear that it is a draft discussion for a to-be-released blog post. If it was, true. So let’s just continue here.

Next time:

• please chose a very clear subject to make sure it is a blog post draft discussion, not the actual testing discussion
  • same for forum post text

No big deal, similar stuff happens to me all the time.

Needs

sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix

( Dev/Qubes - Whonix )

Related:
phase out manual use of qubes-dom0-update by user / replace it by salt · Issue #3447 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

1 Like

more problems:-

DisableNetwork 0

is not added by default to /usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.torrc

and if u add it , then u will receive this message:-

1 Like

Blog post corrected.

Note:

Step 3: Wanted to combine both commands but kept getting “no match for argument: qubes-template-whonix-XX” I believe its a local problem. Can anyone confirm this command works for them?

sudo dnf remove qubes-template-whonix-gw qubes-template-whonix-ws

Step 5: As I understand it, Qubes R-4 salt installs qubes-template-community not qubes-dom0-unstable so would not be appropriate for these instructions?

Any feedback would be welcome!

2 Likes

I’ll test this later on.

2 Likes

@nurmagoz:

more problems:-

DisableNetwork 0

is not added by default to /usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.torrc

Default after installation? We don’t want DisableNetwork 0 there by
default after installation.

ACW will add DisableNetwork 0 to
/usr/local/etc/torrc.d/40_anon_connection_wizard.conf.

/usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.torrc

We don’t use .torrc anymore. We use .conf.

/usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.conf

This is how /usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.conf is supposed to look:

and if u add it , then u will receive this message:-

What command / method did you use to open / edit /usr/local/etc/torrc.d/
file?

0brand:

Step 5: As I understand it, Qubes R-4 salt installs qubes-template-community not qubes-dom0-unstable

Correct.

so would not be appropriate for these instructions?

It installs them only if not already installed. So after installation
without salt it is okay to run sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix.

well then i think something need be to changed:-

default installation there in no DisableNetwork 0 will cause Tor Disabled:

so if someone going to do what the paragraph is saying under “or manually”

will end up here:

(ofcourse restarting Tor needs to be done through each step in order to take changes + whonixcheck after each step to give u the error message)

the above explanation

also another whonix message showing the same path of 50_user_torrc:

Steps taken:

Clean install Qubes 4.0 rc5

Update dom0 + whonix templates

rename whonix templates to whonix-{ws, gw}-13

change sys-whonix template to whonix-gw-13

enable all qubes repos

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-whonix-*-14

Results:

[anonymous@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-whonix-*-14
Using sys-whonix as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
/usr/lib/qubes/qubes-rpc-multiplexer: 14: /etc/profile.d/20_power_savings_disable_in_vms.sh: shopt: not found
/usr/lib/qubes/qubes-rpc-multiplexer: 14: /etc/profile.d/20_power_savings_disable_in_vms.sh: shopt: not found
--> Running transaction check
---> Package qubes-template-whonix-gw-14.noarch 0:4.0.0-201803131452 will be installed
---> Package qubes-template-whonix-ws-14.noarch 0:4.0.0-201803131521 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
/var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/packages/qubes-template-whonix-gw-14-4.0.0-201803131452.noarch.rpm already exists and appears to be complete
/var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/packages/qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.0-201803131521.noarch.rpm already exists and appears to be complete
find: `/var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/var/cache/yum': No such file or directory
*** ERROR while receiving updates:
Error while verifing qubes-template-whonix-ws-4.0.0-201803041555.noarch.rpm signature: /var/lib/qubes/updates/rpm/qubes-template-whonix-ws-4.0.0-201803041555.noarch.rpm: rsa sha1 (MD5) PGP MD5 NOT OK

Domain sys-whonix sent not signed rpm: qubes-template-whonix-ws-4.0.0-201803041555.noarch.rpm
--> if you want to use packages that were downloaded correctly, use yum directly now

(First attempt downloaded the templates, that is why they were already available the second time I ran this command)

1 Like

Added salt to Qubes R4 instructions for creating sys-whonix and anon-whonix VMs

1 Like

Blog entry suggestions removed to shorten thread.

2 Likes

Hi torjunkie

I was to vague and “moved” was not the correct terminology. sys-whonix should be set to use a different TemplateVM i.e. the newly cloned whonix-gw-13

I should have the changes completed later on today.

Thanks for all the help. For some reason I’m struggling with these instruction. Not sure why?

Edit:

Re: Step 3 - Alternatively, Qubes Manager → Right click on VM to delete → Delete VM

This method does not work for templates installed by the package manger? At least does not work for me R4.

1 Like

@torjunkie

Updated draft with your edits.

1. Were you able to remove template VMs with this method? Did not add this to step 3 yet.

Alternatively, Qubes Manager → Right click on VM to delete → Delete VM

2. Should all content be aligned to the left or kept the way it is? Somewhere in between?

3. Any other suggestions or changes that should be made?

1 Like

Blog entry suggestions removed to shorten thread.

1 Like

Feedback on Whonix 14 in Qubes R3.2

Works

• Apparmor.

• Tor Browser 7.5.3 & 8a5 versions.

• Firejailing of Tor Browser.

• Whonixcheck for sys-whonix & anon-whonix.

• Updates/downloads for TemplateVMs with onion sources, except the Whonix v3 website which must be manually commented out by hand in whonix.list.

• New landing page for Tor Browser (pity about the v3 links though given they don’t work currently).

• Whonix repository changes.

Trivial Issues

EDIT to remove wrong entries from old template use.

• sys-whonix and anon-whonix are not populated with the standard links from Qubes VM Manager as per normal install e.g. whonixcheck, Tor Browser, Konsole etc. It is just empty and must be done manually by hand.

• Ditto as above for Whonix-WS and Whonix-GW TemplateVMs.

• sys-whonix no longer notifies about “Connected to Tor” visually in Qubes-Whonix after starting, even though it is connected as evidenced by Arm.

Major Issues

EDIT to remove wrong entries from old template use and onions fixed.

• Attempting to change Tor User Config (via the GUI link) to enable ConnectionPadding and Sandbox for the Tor process fails, since it won’t let you connect at all and you get PID and Tor Control port error messages as outlined by @nurmagoz further above. As soon as you remove the config change (to blank), Tor connects again. This is a major problem, since users will want to put various config changes in this area.

User Functionality to Explore

• Need to check whether Tor Project’s Sandboxed Tor Browser will now actually work in Qubes-Whonix 14. I presume the dependencies get installed in the TemplateVM, while the actual sandbox is downloaded to the AppVM? Let me know and I’ll give it a crack.

Edit: Works!

1 Like

Could you please report a bug here Issues · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub?

//cc @iry

1 Like

OK - will do.

2 Likes