Profile: /home/*/tor-browser_*/Browser/firefox Operation: mknod Name: /home/user

Profile: /home//tor-browser_/Browser/firefox
Operation: mknod
Name: /home/user/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/update.test
Denied: c
Logfile: /var/log/kern.log
For more information, please see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingApparmor

and this message also appeared when i wanted to download from tor , (just wanted to test that and it happened the message did appeared) and i couldnt download the file.

btw the message different from this one (which is my old post with same operation “mknod”) :-

also i saw the same profile path in this wiki:

but i didnt c it as an apparmor message popping up in whonix b4.

Looks strange. Could you be more specific on the conditions you saw the first message? Do you still see it?

Which Whonix version are you using? The download issue is fixed in Whonix 10.

well i dont know how to be more specific , but there is a notification button on the left down side of the screen in whonix, when i press on it , it shows the notifications from apparmor; so from there i copied the message and put it here.

and yes i still c it , and without any conditions just when i open whonix.

its not in whonix 10 , its in whonix 9.6 with tester repository

also i dont know why mknod problems look always strange lol

I speculate you are getting this issue when trying to update using Tor Browser’s internal updater?

The problem is, you may not be “really” using the testers repository. Perhaps and outdated version of it. Until Whonix Forum is fixed, all other bug reports are invalid.

this one i got it without using any updater just i was trying to download paltalk to c if its going to leak the ip or not (installing it in wine environment because it doesnt support linux porting yet from what i saw from their website).

mkdir operation this one:-

i have got it from tor updater.

also how can i have apparmor without changing to tester repository?

if might be any mistake in what i did from changing the repositories then how can i make sure im using tester repository or its working efficiently but not other repositories?

I get mknod message on an updated Workstation 9.6 with Tor Browser 4.5a5 installed.

The default download folder of the browser is /home/user/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/Downloads and it denies with mknod message.

Also when the screen opens to choose the download directory it denies operation to open /etc/fstab

also how can i have apparmor without changing to tester repository?
Install the package from source code. https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/Build_Documentation/apparmor-profile-torbrowser
if might be any mistake in what i did from changing the repositories then how can i make sure im using tester repository or its working efficiently but not other repositories?
syntax: [code]dpkg -l | grep pkg-name[/code]

example:

dpkg -l | apparmor-profile-torbrowser

Compare with:

Compare if relevant file https://github.com/Whonix/apparmor-profile-torbrowser/blob/master/etc/apparmor.d/home.*.tor-browser_*.Browser.firefox matches with the corresponding one on your hdd.

[quote=“z, post:6, topic:1005”]The default download folder of the browser is /home/user/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/Downloads and it denies with mknod message.

Also when the screen opens to choose the download directory it denies operation to open /etc/fstab[/quote]

See Whonix Forum

i dont think this command is correct (or i got it right):-

dpkg -l | grep pkg-name

but i have tried this in whonix 9.6 worksation:-

dpkg -l grep

and the following came up:-

Desired=Uknow/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-await/Trig-pend |/ Err?=(none) /Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad) ||/ Name Version Architecture Description +++-========-==========-============-============= ii grep 2.12.2 i386 GNU grep, egrep and fgrep

also regarding apparmor profile in whonix 9.6 gateway:-

dpkg -l apparmor-profile-torbrowser

the following came up:-

Desired=Uknow/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-await/Trig-pend |/ Err?=(none) /Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad) ||/ Name Version Architecture Description +++-========-==========-============-============= ii apparmor- 3:1.4-1 all AppArmor profile for profile The Tor Browser Bu

i typed the inside “insert code” commands with my hands not with copy paste , so thats why some words or symboles not in the right place but its readable.

i dont think this command is correct (or i got it right):-

dpkg -l | grep pkg-name

Syntax - Wikipedia - not literal.

You forgot the.

But nevermind.

Also works.

Although this shows a bit nicer results:

yeah last one looks more specific , the result of it:-

but i didnt know till now , am in the correct tester repository or not ?

Yes, that version matches.

I can confirm that one in Whonix build version 10.0.0.5.0.

Apr 12 23:13:52 host kernel: [ 4910.318614] type=1400 audit(1428880432.349:27): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" parent=12590 profile="/home/*/tor-browser_*/Browser/firefox" name="/etc/fstab" pid=12609 comm="firefox" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0

Another one.

Tor Browser version 4.0.8. Happens when trying to safe the default homepage to a file. Menu -> File -> Page Save As. Something we need to fix for the next testers-only version.

[quote=“Patrick, post:16, topic:1005”][quote author=z link=topic=1129.msg7735#msg7735 date=1428869588]
Also when the screen opens to choose the download directory it denies operation to open /etc/fstab
[/quote]

I can confirm that one in Whonix build version 10.0.0.5.0.

Apr 12 23:13:52 host kernel: [ 4910.318614] type=1400 audit(1428880432.349:27): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" parent=12590 profile="/home/*/tor-browser_*/Browser/firefox" name="/etc/fstab" pid=12609 comm="firefox" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0

Fixed that one:

@troubadour can you please review? (Using “deny /etc/fstab r,”)

[quote=“Patrick, post:17, topic:1005”]Another one.

Apr 12 23:16:14 host kernel: [ 5052.483807] type=1400 audit(1428880574.513:28): apparmor="DENIED" operation="mkdir" parent=12590 profile="/home/*/tor-browser_*/Browser/firefox" name=redacted-some-id pid=12609 comm="firefox" requested_mask="c" denied_mask="c" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000

Tor Browser version 4.0.8. Happens when trying to safe the default homepage to a file. Menu → File → Page Save As. Something we need to fix for the next testers-only version.[/quote]
I don’t know how to fix that one. troubadour, can you try to save files please and try fixing that one?

I can confirm “etc/fstab” too. It happened on a download, has gone after the last update. “deny /etc/fstab r,” is fine.

I cannot reproduce “redacted-some-id”, whatever the page I save. Wondering where that comes from, a file without a parent directory. Is it showing consistently?

I can confirm "etc/fstab" too. It happened on a download, has gone after the last update.
Yes, added the updated package to the repository.
"deny /etc/fstab r," is fine.
Great.
I cannot reproduce "redacted-some-id", whatever the page I save. Wondering where that comes from, a file without a parent directory. Is it showing consistently?
Yes. TBB stable and alpha. Cannot save any page nor I can save any file.