problem with this vms , gets on aborted state suddenly

hello ,

i have 2 vms of whonix ( workstation and the gateway)

yesterday i was playing around with it

apparently all went fine when suddenly the workstation and later the gateway of whonix stopped working and I saw the state of aborted

the system is updated ( but i can’t especify more because i can’t use the vms due this kind of error )

the specifications are:

workstation:

base memory 2048 MB

acceleration VT-x/AMD-V , Nested Paging, PAE/NX, KVM , Paravirtualization

video memory 128 MB

graphics controller VMSVGA

chipset PIIXS3

enabled I/O APIC

hardware clock in UTC enabled

processors 1 CPU ( by default it has 4 )

gateway:

base memory 1280 MB

acceleration VT-x/AMD-V , Nested Paging, PAE/NX, KVM , Paravirtualization

video memory 128 MB

chipset PIIXS3

enabled I/O APIC

hardware clock in UTC enabled

processors 1 CPU ( by default it has 4 )

what shoul i do ?

thanks

ps: i post the link of the virtualbox forum with the logs of both vms

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97894

Hello!
Was it a one-time error or did it happen all the time/multiple times
?
If it does repeat itself, did you encounter the same problems with other VMs (Linux or not)? If yes, which ones?

This comes up from time to time; I noticed your kernel is very fresh. Sometimes very recent releases can have issues with Virtualbox. Trying a different graphics adapter may help. Have you tried an older kernel release to compare results? If you have an older kernel handy, give it a try. This way if the issue still persists, then we know that the kernel can be ruled out. If it stops, then we know the newer kernel does not have full support from Virtualbox yet. I know that the Changelog for 6.1.6 says kernel 5.6 is supported, sometimes it takes a bit for the bugs on virtualbox’s end to be worked out.
I noticed in your Gateway log on line 1164, your machine goes from running to suspended. Did you purposely do this and try to restart and then that is when you had the abort issue? Reason I ask is sometimes the resumption of a suspended machine can be buggy. This is a known Virtualbox issue. If you can, it’s always better to fully shut down.
Your logs look very normal to me, in fact yours and mine are almost the same, except for the type of computer and host operating system / kernel version. I am thinking this is a Virtualbox issue rather than anything on your end.

it happens multiple times…

and yes i encounter the same problems with another vms like parrot os or windows 7

so i think this error is from virtualbox … or maybe it caused this my kernel version

( the user @anontor explain this and that makes sense )

thanks

1 Like

i tried an older kernel and it goes well for now ( It is only a matter of waiting)

" I know that the Changelog for 6.1.6 says kernel 5.6 is supported, sometimes it takes a bit for the bugs on virtualbox’s end to be worked out"

that’s it :slight_smile:

“I noticed in your Gateway log on line 1164, your machine goes from running to suspended. Did you purposely do this and try to restart and then that is when you had the abort issue? Reason I ask is sometimes the resumption of a suspended machine can be buggy. This is a known Virtualbox issue. If you can, it’s always better to fully shut down.”

yes i now that , it’s always better to fully shut down but in this case the vm gets on aborted state suddenly :frowning:

once i changed the kernel i tried to run the vms and i noticed that is holding up well

so i will put up with an older kernel

thanks

1 Like

thank for the links @Patrick

i will check it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am glad it worked for you! Let us know if anything else happens