Pid file '/run/tor/tor.pid' does not exist.

Hello! I’ll lead post with the fact that I am using 16.0.6.9-testers-only as, to my knowledge, the current stable build of derivative maker is bugged for physical isolation. If anyone knows a build that currently works for physical isolation, I’d be grateful to know.

I was able to successfully build derivative-maker, but when I run:
$ sudo setup-dist
tor fails to start.

Debugging information is as follows:

Start Log

Debugging Information:

Pid file’/run/tor/tor.pid’ does not exist.

output of ‘sudo /bin/systemctl --no-pager --no-block status tor@default’:

tor@default.service - Anonymizing overlay network for TCP
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tor@default.service; enable-runtime; vender preset: enable)
Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/tor@default.service.d
40_obfs4proxy-workaround.conf, 50_controlsocket-workaround.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since [Date] [Time]
Process: 1331 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debian-tor -d /run/tor (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 1332 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/tor --default-torrc /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc -f /etc/tor/torrc --RunAsDaemon 0 (code=exited, status, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 1333 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
CPU: 19ms
[Date] [Time] host systemd[1]: tor@default.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
[Date] [Time] host systemd[1]: Stopped Anonymizing overlay network for TCP.
[Date] [Time] host systemd[1]: tor@default.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
[Date] [Time] host systemd[1]: tor@default.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
[Date] [Time] host systemd[1]: Failed to start Anonymizing overlay network for TCP.
INFO: End of systemcheck. You can always start systemcheck again with:
systemcheck
You can always enter setup-dist again, by starting:setup-dist

End Log

(BTW, I did type this out because it was easier to do that at the time. I assume I made no mistakes, but figured it would be best to make that known. I also obscured some pointless information (time and date))

I also ran:
$ ls -l /var/run/tor
result:
total 0

As well as:
$ ls -l /var/run/tor.pid
result:
ls: cannot access ‘/var/run/tor/tor.pid’: No such file or directory

I’ve also rebooted the machine, but the result remains (roughly) the same.

Thank you for your time.

I had a similar issue getting tor to connect on a fresh build for physical isolation. I believe it is related to the apparmor profiles.

I suggest having a look for any apparmor denied errors output with command:

journalctl -f

sudo apparmor-info