Onionshare won't launch on Whonix 16 [SOLVED]

Hi @,

I followed the Wiki and wanted to install OnionShare :

Unfortunately, OnionShare doesn’t start and I get this message :

I tried repeating all the procedure again with no success.

OnionShare is also here

But when double-clicking it, the mouse is looping and I don’t get any message.

Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall it again as it can maybe help? Or any other solution, I am a bit desperate here…

Thanks for your help.

EDIT 1 : In addition I would let you know that as I first started OnionShare after the installation it started but then crashed at 10% when it was loading. Since than I have not been able to get back the launching process.

EDIT 2: followed up the official installation command line Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux but it didn’t fix that issue.

EDIT 3 : SOLVED with the help of @Micah. Thank you so much Sir.

That issue doesn’t happen for me, probably fixed in Whonix 16.0.3.1 - for VirtualBox - Point Release! (just now released). Probably also fixed after upgrades.

Happened to me, How did you solve it?

Hello @nurmagoz !
Delete the file ~/.config/onionshare/lock. If you don’t have any persistent onionshare services you could delete the whole onionshare config folder. Then try running onionshare again.
This is how I solved that particular issue.
Let me know if that helped you :wink:

1 Like

Hi,
How do I upgrade OnionShare by default ver 2.3.3 on Whonix to ver 2.5 ?
Thanks

Install Newer Software Versions

(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

Sorry @Patrick I don’t get it how to update my Onionshare even after reading the documentation.

Would you please give me some more instructions?

Thanks

This is what I get after insering the line and

trying to update

I followed that documentation

Did I insert the wrong list? I have a no customized Whonix 16 setup.

Tried sevveral command lines to uninstall OnionShare with no success.

And OnionShare version 2.3.3 is still there.

onionshare is unavailable from Debian backports.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=onionshare

E: Release file:

Check correctness of VM clock.

W: Target packages

Doesn’t need to be interpreted by me. The message already explains it. Please don’t be afraid of long console output. Please read it word by word.

Unfortunately not.

Quote OnionShare - Whonix

Installation using flatpak is discouraged because it leads to Tor over Tor.

Building / installation from upstream source code:

I haven’t found documentation on how to build OnionShare on Debian 11 / bullseye.

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Free_Support_Principle applies.

1 Like

So I don’t have OnionShare anymore on my machine but I really need it, and ver 2.5 as it is the latest.

I don’t understand why I can’t install it as @Patrick mentioned I should use flatpack but in the wiki I can read :

Please I really need some help.

Thank you

EDIT :followed Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux

Nothing is working… still the 2.3.3 version and no GUI shortcut anymore.

The wiki is correct.

As for installation of OnionShare from source code, https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Free_Support_Principle is the only way to resolve this. Very most likely it won’t be resolved by asking here.

Generic instructions on how to install newer software versions have been updated just now:

https://www.kicksecure.com/wiki/Install_Software#Install_Newer_Software_Versions

(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

I have never sad the wiki were incorrect. I know you do your best for keeping it up to date.
The thing is sometimes it’s difficult for a lambda user to find the correct solution.

Yes, very difficult.

To elaborate, I don’t know either how to do this either. I’d need hours, days or even weeks just to figure that out without the help of upstream (original developer) as I don’t know the programming frameworks / build system used by upstream.

Upstream needs to be contacted. And also, importantly, not all requests can be made by me. We don’t want upstream getting bored of me spamming github issues / requests. It’s better if upstream known there is real user interest from people other than myself.

Also it shouldn’t be assumed that this task is easier for others including me.

1 Like