Nyx vs. Tor Browser New Identity Function

Hi,

I want to apologize in advance for the noob question. I read the section about New Identity in Whonix, but I still didn’t fully understand what is the difference between when I get a New Identity through Nyx and a New Identity through Tor Browser?

When I receive a New Identity via Nix, if the Tor Browser was already open, then the Identity does not change. The IP address and everything else remains the same as it was. It is clear that if I restart the Tor Browser, then I will have a new Identity, but this way, when I restart the Tor Browser, its built-in New Identity mechanism automatically triggers. In general, I’m completely confused, as you can see. Maybe someone can help me?

Control and Monitor Tor chapter New Identity and Tor Circuits in Whonix wiki

In all cases, the “New Identity” function sends the protocol command SIGNAL newnym to Tor’s ControlPort.

Tor Browser’s new identity function additionally clears the browser state, closes tabs and obtains a fresh Tor circuit for future requests.

Warning: The New Identity feature will likely create a new circuit with a different Tor exit relay and IP address, but this is not guaranteed.

You shouldn’t substitute only using Nyx when you want to clear Tor Browser state.

New identity doesn’t guarantee a new IP. Only a different circuit.

Long running connections such as file downloads, website downloads, SSH or IRC will not be terminated.

Thank you very much for your reply. To understand the essence of the process more precisely, I wanted to clarify, if possible. If, for example, I want my telegram account to change the login ip, then in this case it is not enough for me to get a new identity through the gateway, I also need to restart the workstation, right? Or will it be enough to simply restart the workstation without manipulating the gateway?

Tor does not provide an IP selection or cycling feature.
New identity is not an IP selection or cycling feature.

Tor replaces your real external IP address with a Tor IP but it does not let you pick any specific IP.
Tor chooses the IP. Whonix does not influence that.
This is unspecific to Whonix.

related:
Tor Documentation for Whonix Users chapter Tor Routing Algorithm in Whonix wiki

A workstation restart does not necessarily result in a new Tor identity. It however makes sure that any long running connection was really terminated.

Only terminating the process would suffice too but as a user it’s hard for you to know if the process was really terminated. It’s however easy with minimal system administrator knowledge. Again → Potential Solutions Beyond Whonix!

related documentation pages I recommend reading:

Also potentially your next upcoming question “how to stop Telegram from detecting my operating system” would be answered here:

It’s my fault that you probably misunderstood me. Of course, I understand that it is impossible to select a specific IP via Whonix. :slight_smile:

I use the portable version of Telegram, in this way there is no any problem that I do not know for sure whether the process has been completely terminated or not. However, due to what you wrote, I have one more question, if it’s possible. It turns out that the TOR provide every new instance of Telegram a new IP? That is, if I have 3 different telegram instances running, will each have its own IP?

Different IP: No such feature.

Different stream: Possible. → Stream Isolation