New Qubes Release 2 & 3 + Whonix 10 Templates (3.02)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

I’ve just uploaded new Whonix 10 templates for both R2 and R3.0rc1.
Actually there was no Whonix templates for R3.0rc1 earlier, so those are
the first one.

Major changes:

1. Upgrade Whonix 9 to Whonix 10
  2. Rename templates to shorter names. New names:
  • whonix-gw-experimental
  • whonix-ws
  • whonix-ws-gnome

Additionally I’ve uploaded Qubes Builder configuration suitable to make
the same build on our own:

To install the templates, issue:
sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community
qubes-template-whonix-gw-experimental

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community
qubes-template-whonix-ws
(or -gnome flavor)

Details on Whonix website: Qubes-Whonix Overview

Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJVWmAOAAoJENuP0xzK19csbuQH/1e1n3g7uQIRVE2HYPYWTR+D
qIgnlEJzMYsAJ/dGg5tgaboeHCCxN0Yn/0xfnX7wwbgGvvhMjC2OSEEfw8bWuCV+
VES/o7+U6QeZHOImdDb8g9smHFZapjkSHlrJC4XHv1fNMJlbLTcg4w2VFurie9bj
ljIMws0YcEVSF1CYxQmNa6DuGEA6hSNkbx7agoC9vxz7g2QQpl1sT+HrnI9+Neq0
Ow81T55L349chhteSxIz6YeOgA5mZM6Pwnh8D10QaMFD/eOEjZY9dc95A21YLYXI
bxwww/N1RrP1cydVn8kKGvUU8uvFYpOQ9RpoB9MpiWbQBbZUop/q8p0Uiu1LMk4=
=yY18
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

So now,i can install the last release of Qubes and install Whonix VM / Gateway on top of it?

This may be a dumb question but these are the steps I’m taking not sure if it’s correct.

My point of confusion is on do I build this ontop of Qubes or do I do this as I’m building Qubes?
I’m assuming it’s while I build Qubes

I have Fedora 21
Follow Redirecting… so I have all the keys and build environment
Then install the templates via: GitHub - QubesOS/qubes-template-configs: Qubes Builder configs for template builds
Build ISO
Install

Am I even close?

Noobnix,prevent multiple post please,use the edit option insteed ,thanks! It’s for a best readibility :slight_smile:

[quote=“Noobnix, post:3, topic:1095”]This may be a dumb question but these are the steps I’m taking not sure if it’s correct.

My point of confusion is on do I build this ontop of Qubes or do I do this as I’m building Qubes?
I’m assuming it’s while I build Qubes[/quote]

You can do it either way. If building Qubes, you may want to use the setup program I created. There is a bug though where you need to have a depend installed first (python-sh) since Marek took it out of libs directory in flavor of installed package.

So, to build; install python-sh, run setup; select options; make build-deps; make get-sources; run setup again… second time will have the options for Whonix vm’s to build as well.

Otherwise, just follow the instructions in OP or Wiki to install Whonix after Qubes is installed. You can also install Qubes from ISO DVD or USB to save hassle of building.

Good luck!

I have Fedora 21 Follow https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/QubesBuilder/ so I have all the keys and build environment Then install the templates via: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-template-configs Build ISO Install

Am I even close?

[quote=“nrgaway, post:5, topic:1095”]…
Good luck![/quote]

Hey thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I gave up on building and now I know why it failed!!! I also want to thank you and Patrick and all the others that have gotten both Whonix and Whonix + Qubes to this point. This is extremely powerful stuff and I hope this community will grow!

So I have a mind map of the whole entire setup from start to finish targeted at absolute beginners.

I’ve played with linux for almost a decade and know just enough to get in trouble, the main issue I had was going through all the documentation. It is somewhat scattered.

I want to help improve the wiki.

The software I used to create the mind map is Mindjet MindMapper and I can export to various formats, would anyone be interested in a interactive PDF or html export of the mind map? Or should I just export it into an outline and I can then put that in a Beginner’s Tutorial Entry in the Wiki what do you guys think?

One last question I had when I’m updating the templates am I using the stable release, testing, or dev. Right now I have them set to use the stable repositories.

Yes, please help improve the wiki. An release announcement in the Qubes sub forum isn’t the right place. Documentation enhancements are best discussed in the website sub forum or perhaps on the issue tracker for everyone to see.

Have you seen the related documentation on the repository Whonix ™ APT Repository already? I doesn’t say what you should do, but it gives information what those are about so you can make that decision.

i would love a begginner guide,i’m a little bit lost right now!

hey sorry for delay ill try to have something for tomorrow!