New page for Bitcoin and quantum threat

With the rising quantum computers in the horizon, i think having a new page, about the threat quantum computers pose to Bitcoin, is worthwhile. I haven’t seen a full read, just some bits and pieces on the internet, i think bringing it all together can be very nice. I would like to write about this, with references to academic research and other reliable sources. Covering various things. What do you think?

See:

//cc @HulaHoop

1 Like

Reply mirrored:

https://forums.whonix.org/t/long-wiki-edits-thread/3477/2093

1 Like

I understand your concerns, the best way to explain would be to invite you to the discord server (most active) (fVrEKDS6bh)or Telegram (QRLedgerOfficial).

QRL was mentioned in a few articles, they will also release enQlave soon, which is a post quantum secure Ethereum smart contract. I’m not saying technically QRL is the only solution, there are more technical solutions, like you mentioned, creating a post quantum secure Bitcoin addresses, which users will have to move their funds to. However, this has cons too.

“Any soft-fork solution requires all users to actively participate in moving their funds to new qc-proof addresses. Those who do not put not only their own funds but the security of the entire network at risk.” faqq . info/wiki/Bitcoin_has_plans_for_this

This is why I believe those things should be put clearly on a page.

With the huge flood of altcoins out there with most turning out to be pump and dump scams or just bland clones, you could see why I am skeptical. Choosing a cipher is one thing, but it depends on who and how it is deployed because the implementation is the crux of security. I don’t know who the authors of QRL are or what other projects they worked on. What I do know is that I haven’t seen them as one of the more famous, well known in the encryption or cryptocurrency spaces.

I am sure the Bitcoin devs do have the Quantum computing threat in mind and will take care of it in time because there are huge stakes.

2 Likes

I understand your concerns, the best way to explain would be to invite you to the discord server (most active) (fVrEKDS6bh)or Telegram (QRLedgerOfficial).

QRL was mentioned in a few articles, they will also release enQlave soon, which is a post quantum secure Ethereum smart contract. I’m not saying technically QRL is the only solution, there are more technical solutions, like you mentioned, creating a post quantum secure Bitcoin addresses, which users will have to move their funds to. However, this has cons too.

“Any soft-fork solution requires all users to actively participate in moving their funds to new qc-proof addresses. Those who do not put not only their own funds but the security of the entire network at risk.” faqq . info/wiki/Bitcoin_has_plans_for_this

I want you know that I am grateful for your instinct to root out this sort of thing. You’ve done it before (e.g., Keybase) and I believe you’re onto something here. Ethereum with their incoherent babbling at times, Turing completeness, etc. Not trustworthy.

A new page wouldn’t be needed if this issue was going to be mentioned. An appendix section on the Bitcoin page could reference quantum threats in general & note the Whonix devs lack of trust in reported ‘solutions’ to date (and point to this forum). That would also address any future queries about this issue in the forums or elsewhere.

2 Likes

Thank you for your offer!

After consideration, due to Focus on low-effort maintainability at this time no review of any substantial PQCrypto documentation contributions will be accepted. This is because no trusted expert reviewer contributors knowledgeable on PQCrypto for crypto currencies is available. Seems like @HulaHoop is unavailable. Therefore Whonix cannot become a primary source for detailed cryptocurrency PQCrypto content.

We can and should however add a short mention that PQCrypto is a problem for Bitcoin / crypto currencies and leave it to the user to do their own research.

Related: