Long Wiki Edits Thread

Was rejected.

I’ve been trying to find a solution for that. No luck so far.

No metalink .onions. Not a total loss. I’m now comfortable using .git. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pity.

Surfing, Posting, Blogging → Fixed (for full edit)

I think also that Bitmessage info on the Email page should go to a separate page (detailed instructions are too long there; all other entries are relatively brief and point to their own page if necessary).

Maybe Firejail from experimental repo might fix it? Didn’t inspect that yet.

1 Like

@torjunkie @0brand yeah sadly not supporting TBB only FF.

but you can copy/add the profiles manually:

https://github.com/netblue30/firejail/blob/master/etc/start-tor-browser.profile
https://github.com/netblue30/firejail/blob/master/etc/torbrowser-launcher.profile

3 Likes

Thanks - will edit Firejail page to note if stable version is non-functional, then:

a) Try backports version 1st.
b) In desperation, edit FJ profiles manually.

This is no big deal, since we basically suggest the same kind of thing when AppArmor profiles break Tor Browser in Whonix.

Also, whoever did those onionizing edits today is pointing to non-existent files in dom0? I am missing something i.e. these proposed edits won’t work since Marek chopped those commit changes, yes? @0brand (I assume it wasn’t you, since the wiki edits were not up to your usual standard)

1 Like

:wink:

I was going by these. I was not aware they were chopped. I already had my dom0 files edited with the commit chages.

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-installer-qubes-os/blob/master/qubes-release/qubes-dom0.repo.in

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-installer-qubes-os/blob/master/qubes-release/qubes-templates.repo

2 Likes

I was just following the edited instructions as they are written, and they are pointing to file(s) and talking about commenting blocks etc that don’t exist in my system.

Can we put you as maintainer of that page? In general, I think we are better off avoiding “comment this” “uncomment that” because too many steps = room for user errors (similar to old Bridge instructions).

Better for those sections is IMO:

1. Edit this file.
  2. Cut and paste the following text (code select style)
  3. Save and exit.
  4. Check they are functional.

@nurmagoz

1. Where are you editing those Firejail files for persistence?
  • Whonix-Workstation TemplateVM? (whonix-ws) @ /etc/firejail?

OR

• Whonix-Workstation AppVM (anon-ws) @ /usr/local/etc/firejail?
  1. What about the tor-browser-en.profile? No edits required?

2. Firejail uses the default FF profile, instead of Tor Browser one if you just run “firejail torbrowser” etc.

But, pointing to updated Tor Browser profile doesn’t seem to work e.g.

firejail --profile=/etc/firejail/start-tor-browser.profile torbrowser

“Error: cannot access profile file”

Same error if you try:

firejail --profile=/usr/local/etc/firejail/start-tor-browser.profile torbrowser

(or with sudo)

And same error if you try the other Tor Browser profile.

WTF. Manual says “absolute path to profile” and gives examples very similar to above. How do we get Firejail to actually launch using the amended raw github profile because it is fucking annoying…

1 Like

dom0 upgrade required to get updated files?

And then there is also the mess with the .rpmnew file extensions.
(Similar .rpmnew: How-to: Install Qubes-Whonix)

Sure I should start maintaining pages to share the work load. Any other pages I can help out with? Let me know and I"ll add my name to all of them. :slight_smile:

I agree, the only issue is the code blocks take up to much room? Maybe a separate template with onionized repository code blocks. Add link to this template → 2. Cut and paste the following text (code select style) ?

Edit: Pushed a minor change to onionizing repositories.

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Onionizing_Repositories&diff=37306&oldid=37243

Btw @torjunkie the edits on that page look great! As usual. :wink:

1 Like

Done. Maybe we can add you to Multiple Whonix-Workstations and Tor Entry Guards for a start? Anything else you want to.

@Patrick

OK - this was harder than I thought in Qubes-Whonix (trying to get key into non-networked debian-9-tor template VM). This works (ripping off 0brand’s instructions :slight_smile: )

Only downside is Tor Browser is updated over clearnet by Debian AppVM, but it is persistent after AppVM is closed.

Qubes-Whonix Instructions

In anon-whonix

1. Add the Whonix signing key, run in anon-whonix

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver jirk5u4osbsr34t5.onion --recv-keys 916B8D99C38EAF5E8ADC7A2A8D66066A2EEACCDA

2. To display the fingerprint

sudo apt-key adv --fingerprint 916B8D99C38EAF5E8ADC7A2A8D66066A2EEACCDA

3. Compare the fingerprint to the one here (or somewhere better?):

Whonix ™ Signing Key

4. Copy the Whonix signing key to a temporary file whonix.key

sudo apt-key export 916B8D99C38EAF5E8ADC7A2A8D66066A2EEACCDA > /tmp/whonix.key

5. In anon-whonix, copy the whonix.key text file over to debian-9-tor template (especially cloned just for Tor Browser install in non-Whonix)

qvm-copy /tmp/whonix.key debian-9-tor

In debian-9-tor Template VM

1. In debian-9-tor, add the Whonix signing key to the list of trusted keys.

sudo apt-key add ~/QubesIncoming/anon-whonix/whonix.key

2. Add Whonix’s APT repository.

echo “deb http://deb.whonix.org stretch main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/whonix.list

3. Update your package lists.

sudo apt-get update

4. Install tb-updater.

sudo apt-get install tb-updater

(It will install, but fail to download due to non-networked TemplateVM)

5. Create AppVM based on debian-9-tor TemplateVM

6. Run “update-torbrowser” in AppVM Konsole to download TBB

7. Launch Tor Browser and check it is functional.

Yah! :smile:

Non-Qubes-Whonix Instructions

I presume non-Qubes-Whonix users using Linux host can just run your normal instructions i.e. steps 1 - 4 →

GitHub - Kicksecure/tb-updater: Tor Browser Downloader - Automates download and verification of Tor Browser from The Tor Project's website. This package is produced independently of, and carries no guarantee from, The Tor Project.

1. Add Whonix’s Signing Key.

sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/whonix.gpg adv --keyserver hkp://ipv4.pool.sks-keyservers.net:80 --recv-keys 916B8D99C38EAF5E8ADC7A2A8D66066A2EEACCDA

2. Add Whonix’s APT repository.

echo “deb http://deb.whonix.org stretch main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/whonix.list

3. Update your package lists.

sudo apt-get update

4. Install tb-updater.

sudo apt-get install tb-updater

If this is all good, I’ll add to the wiki (where?).

PS I have dibs on the 1000th post :tada: :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds good. Also Qubes DispVMs, Manually Downloading Tor Browser and I’ll add more as I go.

2 Likes

Looks good but could you please use (and adjust inf needed) these wiki templates?

Related:

Could you review these ones please? @HulaHoop

Regarding Anonymity: Difference between revisions - Whonix there is one nit. It references sott.net.

I am aware there is:

• a) “fake fake news” - actually real news which someone else calls fake news because they don’t like or at least not an obvious fake, just matter of opinion
  • b) “real fake news” - straight made up disinformation trolling, nonsense

If I remember right, I used to see sott.net being “fake fake news”. They have stories like this:

Kremlin-funded study shows Obama is a space lizard

Perhaps that’s from category fun?

But maybe I don’t understand sott.net. If it’s similar to reddit with user generated content then such posts wouldn’t discredit whole reddit. Perhaps a better source to back that claim up?

1 Like

Fixed →
http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Install_Tor_Browser_Outside_of_Whonix

(didn’t realize that would publish right away - please check its okay).

The templates didn’t neatly fit, so thought it best to get the content done and template edits can comer later on. Qubes method steps are anonymous now too.

Fixed.

Can the page name
Install Non-Whonix ™ Tor Browser using Tor Browser Downloader (by Whonix ™ developers) be
improved? That’s a very Whonix view on it. Would be better to somehow
frame it in a way users are interested in this.

(Also Whonix ™ Packages for Debian Hosts and Whonix ™ Host Enhancements is
not an idea any user would get usually. Ideally we had standalone
websites for each project addressing users generally without much
reference to Whonix/Tor.

Not sure - I’ll have to think about it.

So, once all those old anchors are done & HulaHoop’s kernel upgrade instructions are finished, back to link fixes and other stuff.

1 Like

Do we have links to these somewhere? Good place to add?

add it to the appvm&template (i do to save headache) , but on the same time its breakable not really very stable. so its better to wait for the upstream to push that into the repository.

Input needed:

mediawiki fixes - ⚓ T809 mediawiki fixes - making progress.

• stroke through text in the original ticket means fixed as far as I can tell - please verify.
  • Not yet stroke through text in the original ticket means not yet solved or still under review (such as above), see also ticket discussion.
  • Please do not report new issues in that ticket for organizational reasons. Please create a new ticket or raise them here.
1 Like