Long Wiki Edits Thread

I like it. Makes life easier. We should have more of the same!

Sorry. I provided a link that would break… You might have seen the wrong version.

This.

Whonix ™ Documentation

Do you see the many expand buttons?

If you don’t like the expand sections or don’t want to try Collapsmi tagging (see previous post), how about just increasing the font size of the chapter headings by +1?

Tor Browser downloads from the .onion are not available unfortunately, only the Tor component.

If you look on the .onion server, it’s just not there for some reason. So this is a “can’t fix”.

1 Like

Core dump security information → Fixed

Valid Tor Browser functionality comparisons → Fixed

Moving on.

Thanks @torjunkie

A few minor nits:

1. Since normal (most) users don’t appreciate/know what localhost actually means, in the first line, localhost could have an imbedded link e.g. [http://whatismyipaddress.com/localhost localhost only] or [localhost - Wikipedia localhost only].

Good idea! Added that.

1. Second line, change “gateway” and “workstation” to “Whonix-Gateway” and “Whonix-Workstation”.

Alright, changed those too.

1. Do you need to define “external interface” here to be clear for normal users? That is, I presume it means “A connection to the WAN side of a router”. And not the LAN side.

We probably do. By “external interface” we mean an interface that other VMs can connect to, but it certainly is not the WAN side. In fact I think the router is not (should not be?) aware of all these VMs and see only the network VM’s interface (Qubes) or the host’s interface (non-Qubes). What we are trying to do here is making it accessible within the “hypervisor’s LAN”. (And I might be completely wrong about this.)

Can someone help us with that?

Thanks!

That is probably non-controversial.

It’s here:
http://rqef5a5mebgq46y5.onion/torbrowser/7.0a3/

1 Like

dau:

1. Second line, change “gateway” and “workstation” to
    “Whonix-Gateway” and “Whonix-Workstation”.

Alright, changed those too.

1. Do you need to define “external interface” here to be clear for
    normal users? That is, I presume it means “A connection to the WAN
    side of a router”. And not the LAN side.

We probably do.

Yes.

By external interface" we mean an interface that
other VMs can connect to, but it certainly is not the WAN side. In
fact I think the router is not (should not be?) aware of all these
VMs and see only the network VM’s interface (Qubes) or the host’s
interface (non-Qubes). What we are trying to do here is making it
accessible within the “hypervisor’s LAN”. (And I might be completely
wrong about this.)

Right.

Whonix-Workstation external interface it the one it is using to connect
to Whonix-Gateway so it can connect to the torified internet.

Whonix-Gateway terminology used beforehand all over the place:

• internal network interface: The one talking to other Whonix-Workstations.
  • external network interface: The one talking to the internet.

So I understand that Whonix-Workstation external interface could be
confusing, since Whonix-Workstation usually does not have an internal
interface.

Sorry, got confused twice:

1. Mixing up my LANs and WANs

2. Mixing up my .onions

(Was looking at http://sdscoq7snqtznauu.onion instead of http://rqef5a5mebgq46y5.onion)

Hmm… Stir fried onions… :grin:

Will fix that up soon enough.

1 Like

Ahh, cool! Then do you guys think that if we change from “Whonix-Workstation’s external interface” to “Whonix-Workstation’s internal network interface” would clarify that?

Actually, I misinterpreted your reply. Specially this last paragraph.

Instead of:

…requiring the application to listen on the Whonix-Workstation’s external interface in order to allow the mapping from the Whonix-Gateway.

What about:

…requiring the application to listen on the Whonix-Workstation’s external network interface in order to allow the mapping from the Whonix-Gateway’s internal network interface.

1 Like

Yes.

Alright!

Thanks @Patrick and @torjunkie I made those changes to the draft.

If you need anything, just let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any more changes required? @torjunkie

Good day,

Sorry for the late reply.

Do personally like it as well, looks a lot cleaner in my eyes. However, maybe adding a small, short summary of what this category focuses on might be a good idea.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Wrong link. My bad.

What do you think about this one? @Ego @HulaHoop

Whonix ™ Documentation

Good day,

Was talking about that one. Saw your correction in that previous post.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Very good. Cleaner layout and straight to the point!

Minor nits: @dau

1) Perhaps split this sentence into two (too long):

However, due to Whonix’s split design, Tor runs on the Whonix-Gateway and the application runs on the Whonix-Workstation, requiring the application to listen on the Whonix-Workstation’s external network interface in order to allow the mapping from the Whonix-Gateway’s internal network interface.

However, due to Whonix’s split design, Tor runs on the Whonix-Gateway and the application runs on the Whonix-Workstation. This requires the application to listen on the Whonix-Workstation’s external network interface in order to allow the mapping from the Whonix-Gateway’s internal network interface.

2) Same with this sentence (plus an extra comma):

At the moment, it looks like there is no convention to configure where these applications listen by default (localhost vs. all interfaces) and deciding that seems to be up to the upstream author of the software as well as the packager.

At the moment, it looks like there is no convention to configure where these applications listen by default (localhost vs. all interfaces). The decision seems to be up to the upstream author of the software, as well as the packager.

3) Maybe change this part slightly:

We would like to present the specification of such a convention we have written, after incorporating feedback from users of debian-devel.

A specification for this convention has been devised, and we would like to present it after incorporating feedback from users of debian-devel.

4) Maybe split the last couple of lines into a separate paragraph and slightly reword →

What do you think of this proposal? Would you use it? Do you believe it can be improved? Please share your views in the Whonix forums.

Great job dau!

1 Like

1)

→ Fixed (as per your suggestions)

Haven’t checked the rest of the wiki for this, since there are a million instances of “torproject.org

But, this covers off the main ones re: downloads over .onion

2) My old TODO list is now → Fixed.

Also fixed up heaps of broken links here and there and other minor formatting, links to “Whonix Version” etc.

Will keep working on the Advanced Security Guide, so when that is done, we can (finally) move everything around to something sensible as per the phabricator item.

1 Like