Long Wiki Edits Thread

⚓ T677 research and document secure downloads using Tor Browser could now be documented. (Secure Command Line / Scurl)

At first glance, it’s probably just easier to merge it and have a link from the software entry to “Secure Downloads” (since most of the software entry is short and sweet). Let me know if you don’t like that.

Should be easy to do with @HulaHoop 's research and mamarek’s input in that item i.e. 10 min job.

1 Like

PS (unrelated), I think you’ve been waiting for this 7 year old Tor bug to be addressed, which just got fixed → Ticket #1922 (torrc.d-style configuration directories)

Should be available in Tor 3.1

2 Likes

Sounds good!

@HulaHoop’s research is interesting.

Added to our HPKP ticket.
https://phabricator.whonix.org/T84

However, I think it needs to be documented there.

→ Fixed and added to Secure Downloads. Also referenced in Tor Browser downloads section.

→ Fixed and merged.

:sweat_smile:

Back to Software Installations…

1 Like

Great!

Secure Command Line / Scurl nitpick:

Whonix users will frequently want to download files

That sounds strange to me. Some users might not download any files at all. Could you please rewrite that?

Made some changes to Secure Command Line / Scurl. Wishlist:

• make it a template and reuse at Tor Browser Essentials
  • mention downloads from .onion should be preferred(although seldom available and link to Tor Browser Essentials
  • very briefly mention software installation apt-get (auto verification) and gpg verification (specifically important for executable files)
  • mention (link to) compartmentalization?

Please stop me if I over designing it.

All done → Fixed.[quote=“Patrick, post:226, topic:3477”]
That sounds strange to me. Some users might not download any files at all. Could you please rewrite that?
[/quote]

→ Fixed.

I think I’m due for a salary raise :smile:

1 Like

I haven’t finished with the main table of contents re-organization, the bottom half still needs some work.

But just chilling out for a bit to take a breather.

As an aside (all this talk of curl, scurl etc. was a reminder), as per that phabricator item (grep, code change), curl 7.52.1-5 is in stretch, so that should support tls v1.3 as you wanted i.e. as per man pages.

See here: Debian -- Error

Package: curl (7.52.1-5)

Since scurl and secure Tor Browser downloads are now documented, maybe those other x2 phabricators items can also be marked as fixed (?)

1 Like

I like the edited Whonix ™ Documentation a lot! Our content is getting into form.

Could you please add Secure Command Line / Scurl to Whonix ™ Documentation?

re curl --tlsv1.3: ah great, added it to the Whonix 14 TODO:
⚓ T609 check if curl has newer tls options than --tlsv1.3

Tickets closed.

1 Like

1)

Fixed.

2) The remainder of the main Documentation page → Fixed.

I deleted three entries from “Advanced” that were repeated earlier or out-of-date i.e.

• Chaining Anonymizing Gateways
  • Comparison of Proxies, Proxy Chains and VPNs
  • Download Security (out-of-date)

(Actually that last one could just be merged with the site security page, and deleted completely IMO).

I think it’s easier to find stuff and more logically ordered, although far from perfect.

I think the number of Advanced sections (now) suggests that perhaps they be shifted to an “Advanced Documentation” page.

That would shorten up that main page considerably and the geeks can still find the advanced categories easy enough.

What do you think?

Edit: Unfortunately, gonna be busy for a while (maybe extended).

So, I’ll come back to editing when/if I have time.

1 Like

Could you please edit Tips on Remaining Anonymous - a user understood “I can do it once”. “alternate” seems to imply “just don’t do this often”. My mistake. I chose “alternate” back then.

Well, we had two threads on that topic. Too long ago for me to remember what we concluded.

https://forums.whonix.org/t/splitting-whonix-documentation-into-a-short-and-long-edition-for-better-usability

https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-short-documentation-suggested-final

→ Fixed (I think)

→ Fixed with a suitable workaround (I hope).

Created collapsible entries so it looks like other Linux documentation. Increased chapter font size +1

Hopefully you like it?

1 Like

Documentation: Difference between revisions - Whonix @HulaHoop @Ego anyone, what do you think about this? (scroll down to see a preview)

I think the problem is, we don’t have an “expand all” button. Manually expanding all so then the browser built-in search function can be used is super tedious.

Thanks for the many “adversary” fixes! I didn’t imagine that many changes were required. Some of them introduced myself.

Thank you for all your work!

1 Like

Hi,

Well, it turns out I might have a bit more time after all right now. I won’t be disappearing completely, just might be out of action for a month or two (remains to be seen - unpredictable work).

1) Anyway, re: expand all, perhaps this helps?

Is there a way to expand all categories by default? Where do i have to make changes in code?

Answer:

Mediawiki has Jquery by default so you can just click with Jquery:

$(‘.CategoryTreeToggle’).click();

2) Re: replacements (find & replace)

Some wget instances weren’t replaced due to it existing in gentoo or other instructions, or for other reasons e.g. looked like wget was necessary and scurl couldn’t simply be substituted.

Now with replacing torproject.org instances with the .onion, I think you are referring to downloads only e.g. where normally it would be deb.torproject.org, instead replace with this where appropriate (?)

deb http://sdscoq7snqtznauu.onion/torproject.org jessie main

Other possible replacements: all references to “law enforcement” or “police” etc. could be replaced with “authorities” (?)

Perhaps also a find / replace for “state-level”?

1 Like

torjunkie:

Other possible replacements: all references to “law enforcement” or “police” etc. could be replaced with “authorities” (?)

Perhaps also a find / replace for “state-level”?

Definitely. I did these a few hours ago. Would be cool if you could
double check none slipped through.

1 Like

Yes.

Also here:

And perhaps here:

• Tor Browser: Manual Download
  • And on other instances of Tor Browser Advanced Topics where it makes sense. Perhaps we shouldn’t overdo it? Perhaps that would be the job of darkweb-everyhwere? However, from apt and curl downloads, there is no darkweb-everywehre, so there download from onions makes sense.

Looks like that is for the TOC only.

No problem by the way, thanks for letting me edit and learn along the way!

Anyway, another way to “fix” the Table of Contents problem if there is no expand all feature, would be to have each of those chapter headings being clickable. Then the user would actually land on a separate (sub)page e.g. user clicking on “Modern Privacy Threats” would land on a page with:

• The Importance of Anonymity
  • The Internet and Privacy Concerns
  • Surveillance Capabilities
  • Data Collection Techniques
  • Tips on Remaining Anonymous

And so on.

This is probably reasonable, as most people are looking to do something specific when they search the docs, or have a general overview of a certain issue e.g. security, tunneling.

I presume they use the search box at the top if they want to quickly find something.

Edit:

Or use Collapsmi extension to set the attribute toggle with the value “all” which looks like it can expand or collapse all tagged sections? See 13 & 14 in this guide:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collapsmi

1 Like