Long Wiki Edits Thread

Whonix Media Mentions → fixed (except for below)

@nurmagoz

Could we use your language skills to maybe update the Arabic Whonix references on that page? A lot look out of date i.e. around 2016 or earlier, closed forums etc.

See:

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Media_Mentions#Arabic

2 Likes

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Dev/Build_Documentation/Physical_Isolation

This page is a bit of a mess - too long for starters. I recommend splitting it up into three wiki pages:

1. The main link above will keep all the Introduction stuff, hardware and host/system preparation.
  2. A separate wiki page for all gateway setup material and different options (plus its many images), maybe called “Physical Isolation: Whonix-Gateway”.
  3. A separate wiki page for workstation setup material and different options and all the random stuff towards the bottom re: after install steps etc., maybe called “Physical Isolation: Whonix-Workstation”.

Obviously the main Intro page will outline that after host setup/preparation, the Gateway stuff must be done 1st, followed by all the Workstation stuff 2nd.

Benefits - more concise, manageable and focused for the reader in this format. Right now it is overwhelming & too hard to follow, even if they are experts.

If you agree, I’ll split the content across three pages as is (no changes at first), and then bring each one up to wiki standard.

1 Like

As per Security and Support Status better not not spend any time on it.

1 Like

Background: In https://qubes-os.discourse.group/t/how-to-securely-customize-tor-browser-in-whonix-with-add-ons-and-about-config-entries/506 it wasn’t clear if Whonix intentionally makes customization hard. The answer is clearly: no, it doesn’t intent to. Therefore, new chapter:

2 Likes

Done (cleaned and archived)

2 Likes

Nothing links to this page:

And I don’t know if it’s still functional. Would be also good if

was linking to Verify Tor Browser in Microsoft Windows?

Situation: user never heard of Tor, Whonix, Open Source or anything before. Therefore never used TBB. But lands straight on the Whonix website and then in Whonix chat asking why Whonix won’t connect. I suspect ISP, router or something blocking Tor. It’s similar to a customer going to an electronics shop having an issue with a washing machine having bought there, expecting support but being told “we just assemble the washing machine but your issue is with the engine, please contact the engine producer directly”. That would be weird in the real world but this is what we really have here in the virtual world. No unified user experience can be expected as we point out here: Linux User Experience versus Commercial Operating Systems

Therefore I would like to have a wiki page briefly explaining the organizational facts and why it won’t work to blame all responsibility on Whonix for fixing network obstacles as it doesn’t produce Tor, isn’t primarily a censorship circumvention project and neither introduced the network obstacle. Started a page here and would be happy as always to see wording suggestions for all of this.

1 Like

new chapter:
Policy of Whonix ™ Website and Whonix ™ Chat

Account and Mobile Devices Security needs to be added to table of contents.

Documentation regarding live mode is being revamped.

Anti-Forensics Precautions: Difference between revisions - Whonix by @madaidan

so the Linux kernel’s memory erasing features (page_poison, slub_debug or init_on_free) and/or your firmware reset attack mitigation can kick in

I’ll make that a footnote. That’s interesting but too much information for a user just trying to learn recommended steps.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Chromium Browser for Kicksecure Discussions (not Whonix)

New section added on Signal Desktop.

TODO test and research. Personally I am not interested until the mobile no. requirement and desktop instance independence is possible which may never happen. It’s documented for people out there to know and experiment if interested.

1 Like

Related: