Long Wiki Edits Thread

To define something by saying what it’s not is often very bad. Non-Qubes-Whonix is god-awful.
Non-Qubes-Whonix means Non-Qubes and Non-Whonix or Non-QubesWhonix?
Which then also leads to - due the lack of any better - weird names like Non-Qubes Debian.

Also rather than calling it Qubes-Whonix we could consider changing all:

• Whonix Qubes
  • Whonix VirtualBox
  • Whonix KVM

Or:

• Whonix for Qubes
  • Whonix for VirtualBox
  • Whonix for KVM

Or:

• Whonix on Qubes
  • Whonix on VirtualBox
  • Whonix on KVM

These changes might be confusing for (new to Whonix) users. I wonder if that should be split into Onionizing Qube and Non-Qubes pages.

1. Onionizing Qubes Templates and Tor Project.
  2. Onionizing Non-Qubes VMs and Tor Project
1 Like

Working on making Configuration Files - Kicksecure Whonix unspecific, since it applies to most in not all linux distribution. There my question:

What are the most/most popular configuration drop-in folders? Or perhaps that’s difficult to research… What are the configuration drop-in folders that you are using? (These will be used as examples.)

OK. I’ll just wait as unman is in no hurry it appears.

Better.

I’m not gonna sweat the small Whonix TM stuff at the minute. Too much else that is important to work on. Maybe later.

Better.

This is better IMO. The others are too wordy.

Only if they don’t understand what “Non-Qubes Debian and Non-Qubes-Whonix” means. Also quite small sections. “Non-Qubes Debian” could just be renamed as “Debian” for clarity in the interim.

I think it’s clear enough. The better solution might be Patrick’s idea → rename the convoluted distro variants that currently exist everywhere (although it will no doubt cause a thousand wiki breaks ala Whonix TM of late).

2 Likes

What about:

• Whonix ™ Qubes
  • Whonix ™ VirtualBox
  • Whonix ™ KVM

vs

• Whonix-VirtualBox ™ (Don’t have rights to VirtualBox trademark.)
  • Whonix-KVM ™ (Don’t have rights to KVM trademark.)
  • Whonix-Qubes ™ (Qubes is a partner.)

?

The latter fits better wit the established writing of:

• Whonix-Gateway ™
  • Whonix-Workstation ™

but has ™ issues.

And then also

• Whonix-Gateway-VirtualBox ™ (Don’t have rights to VirtualBox trademark.)
  • Whonix-Gateway-KVM ™ (Don’t have rights to KVM trademark.)
  • Whonix-Gateway-Qubes ™ (Qubes is a partner.)

OR

• Whonix-VirtualBox-Gateway ™ (Don’t have rights to VirtualBox trademark.)
  • Whonix-KVM-Gateway ™ (Don’t have rights to KVM trademark.)
  • Whonix-Qubes-Gateway ™ (Qubes is a partner.)

OR

• VirtualBox Whonix-Gateway ™
  • KVM Whonix-Gateway ™
  • Qubes Whonix-Gateway ™

OR

• Whonix-Gateway ™ VirtualBox
  • Whonix-Gateway ™ KVM
  • Whonix-Gateway ™ Qubes

?

Some combinations don’t fit well with .

I am not too worried just yet. Renaming of terms that include somethingQubessomething and somethingWhonixsomething already done ( added) and not too much broke in the wiki. Since these terms are templates now, changing them might be as easy as changing the wiki template. In theory. :slight_smile:

I think this is the best:

While

looks more elegant but could be confusing. “Whonix Qubes” is a certain type of Qubes. Whonix is an adjective in this case. Sounds like we have revised Qubes in some way. Not correct.

1 Like

The page

Includes screenshots from XFCE. Perhaps that contributes to the confusion discussed above.

Also, does 5. VirtualBox Screen Resolution Bug relevant for this page?

which only occurs in the XFCE version of Whonix in VirtualBox.

Last point, the table under

1. Download Whonix Whonix old logo.png CLI for Windows Windows logo - 2012.svg.png, Mac Rsz osx.png and Linux Tux.png FREE

includes (also) instructions / link to verify the KVM image, while we are on a VirtualBox page.

I realize this all comes from template reuse. I would say - the one single obstacle to bringing homepage / wiki from “B” to “A”.

2 Likes

This looks pretty good.

(Although I don’t like the decision to do TM all over the place. I don’t remember any other distro doing that e.g. Debian, Windows etc. It seems excessive if you are reading Whonix TM on every 5th line. Better to just highlight the TM issues on whonix.org main page or main ToC IMO. :slight_smile: )

This would be consistent with above, and no trademark infringements as you say.

Welcome sheep - you contributions are most welcome & we’d love to see you join the regular editing team BTW.

Easy fix → the conjunction: Whonix-Qubes.

Glad someone else is noticing the finer stuff. Please consider editing proper (most Whonixers are scared for some reason, except for a few regulars).

2 Likes

Non-ideal indeed. It might be changed as I improve my legal understanding. Low priority though.

Me neither, but others don’t necessarily work towards maximal legal protections. A lot legal knowledge aggregated in non-FLOSS fields was never even considered the FLOSS world (or so invisible that very few got aware). If that sounds cryptic, here are two examples where I elaborated:

sheep via Whonix Forum:

The page

Whonix for Windows, macOS, Linux inside VirtualBox

Includes screenshots from XFCE. Perhaps that contributes to the confusion discussed above.

Also, does 5. VirtualBox Screen Resolution Bug relevant for this page?

Fixed.

0brand via Whonix Forum:

These changes might be confusing for (new to Whonix) users. I wonder if that should be split into Onionizing Qube and Non-Qubes pages.

1. Onionizing Qubes Templates and Tor Project.
  2. Onionizing Non-Qubes VMs and Tor Project

“and Tor Project” maybe on the page but also confusing in page title.

I’d like to add a note about the clusterfuck that is the WPA2/3 standards. Where does this go?

1 Like

Router and Local Area Network Security - Kicksecure

1 Like

Ca we run the mediawiki extension that check for dead links and replaces them with their offline archived versions form archive.org?

1 Like

Where does magic-wormhole stuff go?

1 Like

HulaHoop via Whonix Forum:

Where does magic-wormhole stuff go?

Frequently Asked Questions - Whonix ™ FAQ was updated just now.

Now requiring context.

* Context - How has this issue affected you? What are you trying to accomplish? Providing context helps us come up with a solution that is most useful in the real world.

https://www.whonix.org/w/index.php?title=FAQ&type=revision&diff=46919&oldid=46772

Came up in context of TBB-Whonix Specific Issues since it was not clear at time of writing what was tried to be accomplished.

We are using The Whonix-devel Archives as much as possible if we communicate with e-mail based issue trackers such as Debian BTS, contact other e-mail lists or individuals. It’s a useful public archive of communications. Where could we add the link to our archive The Whonix-devel Archives in our wiki?

Maybe Design: Difference between revisions - Whonix suffices.