Long Wiki Edits Thread

Fixed →
http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Install_Tor_Browser_Outside_of_Whonix

(didn’t realize that would publish right away - please check its okay).

The templates didn’t neatly fit, so thought it best to get the content done and template edits can comer later on. Qubes method steps are anonymous now too.

Fixed.

Can the page name
Install Non-Whonix ™ Tor Browser using Tor Browser Downloader (by Whonix ™ developers) be
improved? That’s a very Whonix view on it. Would be better to somehow
frame it in a way users are interested in this.

(Also Whonix ™ Packages for Debian Hosts and Whonix ™ Host Enhancements is
not an idea any user would get usually. Ideally we had standalone
websites for each project addressing users generally without much
reference to Whonix/Tor.

Not sure - I’ll have to think about it.

So, once all those old anchors are done & HulaHoop’s kernel upgrade instructions are finished, back to link fixes and other stuff.

1 Like

Do we have links to these somewhere? Good place to add?

add it to the appvm&template (i do to save headache) , but on the same time its breakable not really very stable. so its better to wait for the upstream to push that into the repository.

Input needed:

mediawiki fixes - ⚓ T809 mediawiki fixes - making progress.

• stroke through text in the original ticket means fixed as far as I can tell - please verify.
  • Not yet stroke through text in the original ticket means not yet solved or still under review (such as above), see also ticket discussion.
  • Please do not report new issues in that ticket for organizational reasons. Please create a new ticket or raise them here.
1 Like

What is the complete Firejail launch command you are using in terminal? Can you post the whole line here please (i.e. including Tor Browser profile etc inclusion in that command)?

1 Like

We do now. :slight_smile:

I’m sure there are other pages that these links could be added to.

2 Likes

I nitpicked that software page and inserted a link you meant to put in there?

b) Is far better.

The one thing about bullet points is if I write something like -

blahblahblah:

• point 1
  • point 2
  • point 3

Write conclusion here…

Then I expect the whitespace between blahblahblah and point 1 & the whitespace between point 3 & “Write conclusion here” to be equidistant & they’re not (easy fix?)

The other annoying problem is following an info or warning box, we still need two carriage returns (Enter key x2), so it is not squished against the following text. So whatever the normal spacing is needs to be fixed there (the text before an info/warning box is fine - has enough space)

2 Likes

mediawiki fixes #2
https://phabricator.whonix.org/T868

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Manually Installing Tor Browser -> Fixed

Should be easier now for Whonix & non-Whonix users to manually download Tor Browser (in theory).

PS Not stepping on your toes 0brand (since you are maintainer there), but it linked from that new page I did and I just have to edit shit that is annoying me.

And that is basically 65% of the rest of the main doc pages. Figure we’ll be done in 2020 sometime at current rate and I can retire after another 15 state-sponsored hacks – only problem is I’ll be on the no-fly list by then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Holy shit the wiki is suddenly looking very sexy! Good job Hutchy and Patrick and anybody else involved!

One other nit, is do you notice with blockquotes that if we embed a link in there (see the quote in this section for example), you have extra white space next to the embedded link?

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Data_Collection_Techniques#HTML5_Canvas_Image_Data

Weird right?

Can the maestro also fix that? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks good changes admitted. I went ahead and removed the recommendation for using pwgen for passwords since its not a secure choice for true entropy.

Changes rejected. Overly redundant and gives the impression that the project is anti-LE which we are not. However in the name of facts you can point to edwardsnowden.com which is a database of all released docs and will get the point across.

Aside: The page needs to be a lot more concise and give more relevant arguments for importance of anonymity to individuals rather abstractions or laundry list of abuses.

https://thecasswiki.net/index.php?title=Signs_of_the_Times

It’s a volunteer led news aggregator site that covers everything from everyday topics to UFO/Alien stuff. It’s about mirroring news rather than creating original content. There is no single agenda or political direction for the site.

So while its not real fake news, its not really a reliable info source.

2 Likes

⚓ T868 mediawiki fixes #2 updated.

Do we still need the https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Portal page? Anyone using it? Was considering to purge it without replacement. Reasons:

I like the new wording of Tor Browser: Manual Download and accepted the changes just now.

However, the text which was fixed didn’t really belong there in the first place. The fixed text, i.e. these chapters…

Introduction

Don’t seem to fit the page title. Could you move somewhere else please, I guess Tor Browser Essentials would be more suitable?

While we are at it, should Tor Browser: Manual Download be on its own page or merged into Tor Browser Essentials?

What is the complete Firejail launch command you are using in terminal?

i dont use lines , i edit profiles inside /etc/firejail then i launch the TBB or any other program with firetools (gui firejail).

at the moment changes havent been well working with TBB yet, wait for the upstream upgrade at least to backport.

1 Like

Thanks for reviewing both.

I guess it’s just me :wink: I still like one of the paragraphs in the conclusion, which I think can still be used fairly.

The point i am trying to make there is that they are not acting as default LE, they have morphed into orwellian overseers who are in your crack every time you take a dump. That is very different from traditional policing, particularly when done in secret and targeted at non-criminals.

Yes, we can link to that instead.

Portal → I vote to kill it.

It has always been ugly, and I think probably under-used as you say. Since it is duplicating info found elsewhere, I won’t miss it.

Will fix that. We should probably merge it also - I’ll check how it looks etc.

2 Likes