Logo Contest Draft

Are you using services

• facebook
  • twitter
  • g+
    ? And do you know how their header/logo sizes and how to design them?

Most important problem at the moment with facebook is, if you post the link https://www.whonix.org on your wall, you only see part of the banner.

Facebook and twitter would be more important. I am looking up some information on header and logo sizes; header and logo overlap. (Whonix ™ Unified Design - Logos & Guidelines) Some places require rectangle style logos, others elongated style banner. That information will also be required for a possible future logo contest.

Currently Whonix’s facebook/twitter account designs are using a Whonix desktop screenshot, which I did out of despair ;), due to lack of design skills. Ideally those account designs should reflect what Whonix is about.

Some designs, I find informative and professional:

In past, i used them. All have their templates. Step by step, we could do it.
For image sizes, there are some interesting guides about this.
Example : Creative Jobs :: Careers for Graphic Designers, Copywriters, Social Media Managers, Proof Readers and More.
“Social media image size guide” are the magic words.
The better is :

1. finalize whonix logo (or create new one, i don’t know : i find current maybe “too cold”.)
  2. give temporary access to a webdesigner in each listed service to try/upload/test/save some graphical visuals.

I can help you. All free, of course.

Regards,

Could you help preparing a logo context? Essentially, just helping with the wording of a blog post or wiki page.

Maybe I am thinking too complicated here. But due to many sizes for different websites, I am overwhelmed and confused.

What sizes should logo contest participants provide? Two? A require rectangle style logo with xxx * yyy and a elongated style banner with xxx * yyy?

Maybe we can copy and paste a lot text from the Tails logo contest (Tails - Tails launches a logo contest). [Their website is GPL’ed, so that’s legal.]

Can we do this with test accounts please?

Yeah, please!

For the social media header photo, we might not need to use a banner. I like the idea more to have some graphic to explain what Whonix is/does. What do you think? Any idea on what should be included? Perhaps that’s worth a blog post as well.

From Tail’s page (with some comments) :

Requirements :

Free licence, compatible with GPL3+. [b]-> Good (Is GPL3+ necessary ?)[/b] Source in SVG format. [b]-> EPS, AI must be prefered[/b] An image with an approximate 1:1 ratio, like the onion logo. [b]-> Difficult in Whonix's case[/b] The image should convey the ideas behind Tails: secrecy, privacy, anonymity, mystery, simplicity (Tails is ready-to-use). [b]-> Good[/b] The logo has to be a bit serious, but not sad. [b]-> Good[/b] Until now we reuse the colors from Tor (green and purple), but this can be changed. [b]-> Why not ?[/b] We cannot reuse directly the Tor or Debian logo, but evoking it is ok (use Tor colors, or evoking the Debian swirl). [b]-> Ok, for me[/b] The image should be suited to print on nice stickers that people want to have on their computers, and on t-shirts that people are happy to wear. [b]-> Why not ?[/b] Make sure that the fonts that you use are compatible with GPL3+. To be on the safe side, use fonts available in Debian main, otherwise we will ask you to prove their compatibility with GPL3+. [b]-> Ok, for me, even if i don't exactly what GPL3+ is[/b]

Complementary materials

As the logo will be used in quite different places, [b]we encourage you to submit complementary materials. These are not strict requirements but will help us evaluate your proposal better. Besides, if your logo is chosen, we will need them anyway before we are able to put it to use publicly.[/b]

These complementary materials are:
To be listed.

Calendar :

XX/XX/XX : Deadline for sending proposals to XXXXXXXXX@XXXXX. No attachments to the email, but link to a public place where we can find your work. XX/XX/XX : The winner is announced.
  1. I like the idea to ask participants to provide :
  • a traditionnal logo,
  • a big banner (size to define),
  • complementary materials. (optional)
  1. Yes we can do that with test accounts. Just need to open one in each service.

2. You write “I like the idea more to have some graphic to explain what Whonix is/does. What do you think? Any idea on what should be included?” and i think you’re right.
    Keywords : operating system - anonymity - Tor network - Whonix-Gateway - Whonix-Workstation

As pictures (sometimes) talk more than words, i will post 1 example here as soon as i can.

Regards,

Will answer in more detail later. I’ll copy the Tails logo contest to Whonix wiki, then we can edit.

By the way, we may not re-use the official Tor logo from The Tor Project for trademark reasons.

GPLv3+:
The legal stuff about licensing. Means GNU General Public License - Wikipedia version 3 or any higher.

Before starting we should do some more brainstorming. Let’s write a blog post to encourage others to share ideas about this.

EPS, AI must be prefered
What is AI?

GPLv3 compatible is indeed important, but that is very easy to archive if there is a will to contribute to Libre Software.

An image with an approximate 1:1 ratio, like the onion logo. -> Difficult in Whonix's case
Why is it difficult? The "1:1 ratio, like the onion logo" could be part of the larger banner.
1) I like the idea to ask participants to provide : - a traditionnal logo, - a big banner (size to define), - complementary materials. (optional)
Yes! :)

Copied Tails logo text contest to Whonix wiki, removed Tails specific stuff, adjusted for Whonix. It’s here:

Please feel free to make bold edits!

I hope I answered all your questions/comments and incorporated into the logo contest draft. If not, I’ve missed it, please just raise it again.

Some lines are crossed out, if you believe this is right, just delete them.

Finally i added *SVG format instead of *AI (Adobe Illustrator).

Maybe you’re right.

Done.

On “Complementary materials” :
“A banner for the website. The current one is 986x60px, but the new one could be higher, maybe up to 150px.”
Be sure of the size you’re asking is correct.

I will try to work a little bit on an example tonight.

Updated logo contest description.

Yeah, it’s still an early draft. The banner is not complementary. Moved to requirements. Not sure a complementary section is required for Whonix at all.

Yeah. That’s the part I need help with. Wrote:
Whonix Unified Design - Logos & Guidelines

Logo is kinda simple? We just ask for 500x500 (1 : 1) ratio?

Logo
400x400 → 1x1
180x180 → 1x1

Here comes the part that confuses me. Different places have different size requirements for the banner. And even worse, different ratios.

Banner
1500x500 → 3x1
1200x630 → 1.9x1
851x315 → 2.7x1

Even worse, on facebook/twitter, the logo overlaps the banner. I wanted to kill two birds with one stone here, but probably this won’t be possible?

So… What can we do… Perhaps we just ask for a banner 1500x500 → 3x1 in the contest?

And later we ask for specific designs for facebook/twitter, that are not logo/banner, but graphic to explain Whonix? Or should the banner already explain Whonix?

Maybe this is getting too complicated for a logo contest due to different sizes. Looks like you need a professional service to create designs for all the different places is required. Maybe we just ask for a twitter design? (Logo matching banner.)

Hi Patrick, i think you’re a little bit “lost”. ;D

To clarify :

1. The logo could be asked in 1:1 ratio format, no problem. I think we’re “OK” in this one. (500x500, 200x200, 1000x1000, it doesn’t matter)

2. the banner asked is very important but size isn’t. We could even call it a “landscape graphical creation”. All that we want to see is HOW participants can describe the ideas behind Whonix. They are forced to use some graphical elements out of logo. So, yes, the banner will contain logo but not only.

3. for social media network : if i have a logo + a banner (all in asked format, SVG or EPS) ; then i can export all creations than i need in any format. It’s an easy task for any designer. I will do it for you.

All is clear for you ?

Indeed. If this was a life threating situation, I would say, I had so little knowledge, I panicked. ;D

To clarify : 1) The logo could be asked in 1:1 ratio format, no problem. I think we're "OK" in this one. (500x500, 200x200, 1000x1000, it doesn't matter)
Ok. Updated logo contest draft.
2) the banner asked is very important but size isn't. We could even call it a "[b]landscape graphical creation[/b]". All that we want to see is [u]HOW participants can describe the ideas behind Whonix[/u]. They are forced to use some graphical elements out of logo. So, yes, the banner will contain logo but not only.
Updated logo contest draft to contain term "landscape graphical creation".
3) for social media network : if i have a logo + a banner (all in asked format, SVG or EPS) ; then i can export all creations than i need in any format. It's an easy task for any designer. I will do it for you.
Ah, great!
All is clear for you ?
Yeah. Feeling much better now. :)

One more thing… I am not sure the landscape graphical creation should be part of requirements or better complementary. I mean, someone submitting both is nice, but I also wouldn’t mind if someone would just contribute a great logo. If we don’t get a landscape graphical creation during the logo contest, we can do a landscape graphical creation contest afterwards. However, I’ll am fine either way, wherever we put it.

Yeah, true. But if a participant is good enough, you will see that a nice logo often goes with a sort of “reflexion”. This reflexion contains other graphical material.

Jason suggested to remove “must not be serious, but not sad” - agreed.
Jason suggested not to require GPL, but make it the official Whonix logo no one else may use - agreed.

Agreed x2.

I will try to post some work today. A logo and a sort of banner. But i must admit that time is not my friend at the moment.
Do you think the “onion logo” must appear in whonix’s one ?
Sometimes i see a “WHONIX title” with a sort of lock and sometimes a logo with an “onion box”. What is the direction to follow ?

Do you think the "onion logo" must appear in whonix's one ?

It’s best to avoid any onion logo to avoid conflicts with The Tor Project’s trademark.

Sometimes i see a "WHONIX title" with a sort of lock
The newer one.
sometimes a logo with an "onion box".
The old one.
What is the direction to follow ?
Starting fresh.

Hi all,
first, sorry for the delay. I post here so cases studies than can give ideas to future participants.
Regards,

This looks pretty bad ass, especially the pics in case study four.

Time for a new Whonix logo and banner.

Could you review this wiki page please? @torjunkie

Any suggestions welcome.

I intent to make it a Whonix news blog post.

1 Like