Kernel driver not installed

Please help if you know what this means: Continuing my previous post, I ran the insaller again and this time my virtualbox was I think open already and I am getting this stupid error. What did I mess up. The error:

WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
Please install the virtualbox-dkms package and the appropriate
headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

Waiting for VM “Whonix-Gateway-Xfce” to power on…
VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine ‘Whonix-Gateway-Xfce’ has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
whonix-installer-xfce: [ERROR]: Virtual Machine Startup Result: FAIL

• The installer succeeded with download and import, but
  • failed to start the virtual machines (VMs).
  • The root cause for this issue is likely not the installer.
  • This issue would likely also happen if the user tried to manually start the VMs.
  • Refer to user documentation:
    httpsss://www.whonix.org/wiki/VirtualBox/Troubleshooting

Please do as instructed by the installer.

yo, its weird. I checked secue boot in bios was off. I just reinstalled the packages. then after restarting it just happns to work, lol man computers are funny

Thanks for the report!

Wait. Enabling SecureBoot fixed this?

Usually people disabled SecureBoot.

No, just checking that it was disabled did the trick. But I think what really solved was just rebooting my host (debian). I had also reinstalled those packages from the error, however they did not solve before the reboot. I dont know. I dont want to touch any configs anymore. I wanted to increase the storage size to 200Gb, because I dont want to prune any nodes (I believe they decrease privacy, could be wrong). But I aint touching Virtualbox today

Related:

(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

(Please search forums / use separate forum thread in case of different topics such as related to virtual hard disk size.)

1 Like

Thanks, I read that, but the part where I have to boot from DVD throws me off, I think I will fuck things up.