[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [DONATE]

Just installed whonix cant get Tor Browser

Hello, I have just installed whonix and it doesnt have tor browser on it, so I installed firefox as per instructions but now I cant get anywhere with it because it always says Hmm we are having trouble finding that site.

Welcome to Whonix forums and thank you for your question!

What Whonix version did you download from and from which website? Whonix comes with Tor Browser installed by default in recent versions. Not installed by default sounds very wrong, perhaps a very old version from a website other than whonix.org?

Download from here: https://www.whonix.org/download/

1 Like

Hey, yes I downloaded it from that website like 3 days ago so I probably have the latest version.

I just cant get internet to work I need to download tor but I keep getting this error

What error?

In case you posted a link or screenshot: that didn’t work.

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

I just cant reach any website

Run whonixcheck on Whonix-Gateway.

And as well as on Whonix-Workstation if success on Whonix-Gateway.

Wait, I probably did everything wrong.

In virtual box manager I need to create windows virtual machine first right?

Go to https://www.whonix.org/wiki/VirtualBox/XFCE see

For Whonix ™ VirtualBox import instructions, please press on expand on the right.

Press expand. See the screenshot instructions.

You need both VMs. Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation. Need to be running at the same time.

hamipaj258
Dont worry, getting Whonix up and running in Virtualbox is easy. I will tell you how to do it. I will assume you downloaded the image and verified it already.
First, obviously you need Virtualbox on your host computer (Windows, or Linux). Once Virtualbox is installed on your computer, open it. If you are using a Linux system like Debian, Virtualbox download instructions are in the wiki. Many other distros maintain it in their repositories so you can use your package manager. If you use Windows, then the Virtualbox web page has a fresh copy; For the web page make sure to use the recent one, 6.0.14. (You do not need Guest Additions because it is already in the Whonix image.)
Open up the Virtualbox application and you should see a menu on top which reads from left to right, File, Machine, Snapshot, Help
Click on File, and click on Import Appliance.
A window opens up. Click on the folder icon to find the Whonix-XFCE-15.x.x.x.ova file on your computer. It’s usually in the “downloads” folder. Once you find it, click Open.
A series of instructions pop up. Read them, and agree to the terms of service by pressing okay. Dont change anything, just read through and press ok when prompted.
You will begin the import process and after a little bit, you will see two new machines in your Virtualbox Manager. One is the Gateway and the second is Workstation.
Double click on the Gateway first and let it open. Then do the same for the Workstation.
Once the two machines have opened, go to Workstation. look on the bottom panel from left to right. You see a blue “whisker menu,” a folder, a file cabinet, a terminal-screen and a globe with an arrow. The globe with arrow is your Tor Browser. Click once on it and Tor Browser opens up to Whonix Welcome page. When you see that page it means you are connected to Tor and everything works. (You do not need install Firefox)
Another way to open Tor Browser in the Workstation is to click on “whisker menu” and press “All” on right side. a list of applications will be visible on the left inside the menu. Use mouse and scroll down the list until you come to the “Tor Browser (Anon Dist)” entry. Click on it and Tor Browser opens.
That is how you get to the browser in Whonix. Remember, the Workstation is where you work. The Gateway is ONLY for routing through the Tor network. Do not do work on the Gateway.
If you have done all that, and still you do not connect, then do this in both the Gateway and the Workstation: Click the terminal icon on the bottom panel (it looks like a screen) and a window opens. type: whonixcheck . it asks for a password so type changeme and press enter again. What does it say to you? Do the same thing in Workstation.
Based on what the output of the command says in both machines, we can figure out what is going on and get you set up
So, you need to 1) open the Whonix Gateway first and let it open up. And then 2) open the Whonix Workstation, let it open up and follow those instructions

[Imprint] [Privacy Policy] [Cookie Policy] [Terms of Use] [E-Sign Consent] [DMCA] [Investors] [Priority Support] [Professional Support]