I run a Windows XP Workstation connected to my Whonix Gateway, with network settings configured as said in documentation. It works rather well. But I’ve an issue: very often (likely all 10/15 minutes) the workstation cannot get answer to a DNS request. It lasts a few minutes, then it works again. During these minutes of “DNS outage”:
- my browsers (tried on several browsers) cannot reach web pages through URLs, but still can when targeting directly a page through its IP adress (no DNS request)
- errors appears on the windows event logs for services that makes connexion using DNS (such as NTP)
- through my browsers I still can access hidden services (no DNS request for them)
=> that is why I know it is a DNS issue!
- When I do disconnect the network adapter (deactivate) then reconnect it (reactivate), DNS responses are back to normal… until the next 10/15 minutes.
- When I changes identity using ARM on gateway, or restart tor, it does NOT fix anything
So it appears issue does not comes from gateway (or not only). I though until now it was some issue with my Windows XP (without figuring it out) BUT I recently created a similar configuration on another physical PC using a fresh gateway installation (lastest version) and fresh XP installation for worksation (NOT the same install files I used for my first workstation on the first PC)… and I got the same issue!
Anyone already experienced this issue with windows XP workstation? Any idea of what to do to fix it?