Okay, I’m going to pretend to be Mr. Positive after providing a quick vibe check:
-
Seeing the Claude a$$hole on Whonix made me throw up in my mouth.
-
Going to the org-ai-assisted github page make the vomit come out my nose.
-
Seeing all the vibe coded slopware “output lies” and “secure-terminal”—not withstanding the “unreviewed” warning tag—made me want to throw my computer out of the window.
I’m not going to lecture anybody about using AI code. I use AI to code, mostly local, but without fancy harnesses, and hardly anything powerful enough to warrant the term “vibe coding”. I’ve never one-shot anything. So if Patrick and team want to experiment with what AI can do, I’m not in principle opposed by it.
The current levels of Whonix Claude commits that I have seen are not outrageous. Other projects I’m examining have 100s of thousands of lines of Claude commits, often more than half, and when you talk to the people “developing” the project, they often have no idea what’s going on.
Oh, Claude did that. I’ll add a issue.
There’s obviously only passing familiarity with the code, and little motivation to be a problem solver, two developer factors I think are essential for keeping a code base human over the long term. Somebody has to know and care, or it’s just a dusty ruin that happens to compile.
I’m sure you are all aware of this kind of thing happening across the gits. Whonix is nowhere near that, given its commits.
HOWEVER, there’s an emerging risk: the perception that someone who would permit AI slop pages to proliferate—“safely on the other side of a security cordon”—might also permit slop code to enter the repository. If you don’t care about one, why would you really care about the other? The whole premise of using AI to code is to gain the benefits of going beyond one’s capacities. As that trend accelerates, there will be a lot of “slippage” and “stretching” of formerly clear principles.
I’m seeing more and more slop pages advertising slop projects, all over the place. I’m writing about its invasion in small web spaces that are supposed to be human. Perhaps soon no longer. We should not think of this as a mere cosmetic shift, or a convenience. It’s politics itself: the machine overtaking the human, until perhaps there is nothing left. Including anybody who wants to visit the slop site or use the slop app. (Except, of course, the Slop Citizen.)
What’s going to happen when Slop Science meets Whonix’s documentation technical debt? One click Slop Solution, complete with meaningless hover-over boxes, and other nonsense, and a new chipper tone that cuts through the noise. It’s not just documentation: it’s slopumentation. Coming soon to a convenience factory near you. (What’s a little compromise?)
But since I’m Mr. Positive today and being Incredibly Professional^TM, I figure I should offer a solution rather than just complain. I’m willing to contribute my time to the cause, if there is any need of it.
I’m currently in the process of assembling my Qubes+Whonix UX scripts for publication. If you think there’s any merit in what you see, when you see it, you can hit me up for other work, maybe something to do with the website, updating documentation, or whatever. I do not profess to have supreme technical skills, but not everything is supremely technical.
If there’s no interest, may I now express with profound gratitude to you all my well wishes as we collectively descend toward the AI event horizon, probably to be turned into spaghetti.