Is sudo not recommended for Whonix 17?

I finally decided to try out Whonix 17 today after already being accustomed to 16, and the first thing I noticed was the new zsh shell specifying that I am at a user level, and the recommendation to run upgrade-nonroot for upgrades.

Now I am a bit confused, are we supposed to avoid sudo completely now? I couldn’t figure out how to install new software this way, so I ended up using sudo for a few needed packages anyway.

search engine:

• site:whonix.org/wiki “sudo”

• site:kicksecure.com/wiki “sudo”

sudo is used all over the wiki.

(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

2 Likes

I guess I was just a little bit confused as to why upgrade-nonroot is recommended just after installation when sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade seems to be fine, according to those articles

The Kicksecure site also recommends never opening a GUI program with sudo. But I am a bit confused, because I already installed and opened Gparted which requires you enter your password at startup. I did not start it from the terminal, but is this functionally the same as starting with sudo?

Other than these two things, I think I get it. Using sudo to update and install software is ok, as long as you know what you’re doing. Also Kicksecure recommends the --no-install-recommends flag

No. gparted uses pkexec.

1 Like