Installing BitMessage issue

Hello Whonix Community,

I am trying to install Bitmessage and I followed the instructions on the Whonix Wiki page.

Unfortunately, while I launch the last command line :

~/PyBitmessage/src/bitmessagemain.py

I get the message :

root@host:~/PyBitmessage/src# ./bitmessagemain.py
Loading existing config files from /root/.config/PyBitmessage/
Using default logger configuration
No protocol specified
bitmessagemain.py: cannot connect to X server :0

It seems I shouldn’t have launched this command line as #root but as #user.

Problem is I don’t find the location of the file /bitmessagemain.py

Would somebody kindly support the newbe I am ?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Hi Cottonwoodhill

Problem is I don’t find the location of the file /bitmessagemain.py

Try this command:

ls ~/PyBitmessage/src

1 Like

Hi Cottonwoodhill

Sorry for the double post but I think I figured out why you are not able to find ~/PyBitmessage/src/bitmessagemain.py. However I will need conformation from you.

Did you run all the commands from the BitMessage install instructions from a root promt ( e.g. root@host: ) ? If so, I think this is your problem. When I followed the instructions exactly as they are written in the the wiki, everything went smothly. When I ran the install commands logged on as root@host; then exited to user@host and ran the command ~/PyBitmessage/src/bitmessagemain.py . I get this output:

user@host:~$ ~/PyBitmessage/src/bitmessagemain.py
bash: /home/user/PyBitmessage/src/bitmessagemain.py: No such file or directory

If this is the problem the resolution would be to follow the instructions exactly as they are printed. If you are using Non-Qubes Whonix it is recommended that you use VM Snapshots for the security benefits but also if you make a mistake you can revert back to a prior mistake-free VM image.

Related:

I’ve noticed in your other posts that you frequently run commands as root. The Whonix wiki documentation doesn’t instruct users to log on as root user( root@host ) all that often and only for very specific tasks. In the wiki sudo is used instead. The reason is twofold:

1. Running fewer commands as root increases security. Logging in as root (root@host promt ) runs all commands as root, A regular user (user@host promt) only runs commands as root if sudo is used. ( Note: the security benefits of using sudo are disputed by some)

2. Using sudo and having to type in a password only when you want root privileges helps prevent system wide accidents like removing your / filesystem or important protected directories (/etc, /bin, /lib ..... )

It should be noted you can do damage even when not using root privileges ( i.e. sudo )

Somethings can’t easily be fixed but using Snapshots and making regular backups can be a lifesaver!!

4 Likes

Dear 0brand,

Thank you very much for your message and for your explanations,

Indeed, I ran all the commande lines as #root and I shouldn’t have to do so. I really must take care of this in the future. When I realized what I did that was to late.

Now, is there a way to purge the package BitMessage I installed without causing any damage ? The thing is I haven’t done any VM Snaphots. (I know, another mistake and I’m running Whonix on VM VirtualBox…)

Thank you again for your great support and have a nice day !

Edit : I used the guide as #user, followed the instructions and was able to install BitMessage without any problem. Now what about the installation I did as #root ?

Edit 2 : Would that have sense to launch the command apt-get autoremove as #root ?

Edit 3 : I think I have to reinstall my system as after launching apt-get autoremove now I can’t connect to my Workstation anymore Imgur: The magic of the Internet :confounded::weary:

Well, it’s often from your mistakes that you learn most !

Hi Cottonwoodhill

Now, is there a way to purge the package BitMessage I installed without causing any damage ? The thing is I haven’t done any VM Snaphots.

You could have taken a VM Snapshot before you tried apt-get autoremove. Is a good idea to do this ( VM Snapshot ) before you make any changes to your system. Now you know one of the reasons why they are important. I’m hoping you don’t have to learn the hard way why making host OS backups are so important.

Edit 2 : Would that have sense to launch the command apt-get autoremove as #root ?

Edit 3 : I thing I have to reinstall my system as after launching apt-get autoremove now I can’t connect to my Workstation anymore Imgur: The magic of the Internet :confounded::weary:

You probably uninstalled a meta package ( by uninstalling a package Whonix depends on ) when you removed BitMessage and autoremoved.

This is explained better here:

1 Like

Hi 0brand,

Thank you for your reply and the link concerning the packages !

Well, I was not aware of the posibility to make snapeshots with VirtualBox. You can be sure I have learned from my mistake and that I’ll use this tool from now :zipper_mouth_face:

Have a nice week and best regards.