Initial GW upgrade fail

Hello,
Clean installation, dom0 up to date, downloaded and installed via dom0.
TOR proxy works fine. WS upgrades without problems, but WS is stuck at

[code]Installing new version of config file /etc/xdg/autostart/00-qubes-show-hide-nm-applet.desktop …
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/init/plymouth-shutdown.conf to /etc/init/plymouth-shutdown.conf.qubes-disabled by qubes-core-agent’
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/init/prefdm.conf to /etc/init/prefdm.conf.qubes-disabled by qubes-core-agent’
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/init/splash-manager.conf to /etc/init/splash-manager.conf.qubes-disabled by qubes-core-agent’
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/init/start-ttys.conf to /etc/init/start-ttys.conf.qubes-disabled by qubes-core-agent’
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/init/tty.conf to /etc/init/tty.conf.qubes-disabled by qubes-core-agent’
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/init/serial.conf to /etc/init/serial.conf.qubes-orig by qubes-core-agent’
Failed connect to local daemon

[/code]

What’s interesting is that WS have the same problem… But after aprox. a minute it gets thru. I left GW for more than an hour to no avail.
Any ideas?

BTW, arent appvms (both gw and ws) persistent by default? I ran dist-upgrade yesterday on ws, it completed but today its installing the same packages?

Cheers

Most likely qrexec bug. Does it work after reboot?

AppVMs:
As per Qubes (not Whonix!) default, only /home and /usr/local are persistent. Upgrade your TemplateVMs to have package upgrades persist.

BTW, arent appvms (both gw and ws) persistent by default? I ran dist-upgrade yesterday on ws, it completed but today its installing the same packages?

confirmed , im facing that also. (i was about to type this issue)

i have rebooted everything = nothing changed.

[code] BTW, arent appvms (both gw and ws) persistent by default? I ran dist-upgrade yesterday on ws, it completed but today its installing the same packages?[/code]

confirmed , im facing that also. (i was about to type this issue)

This is very much to be expected.

[code]Most likely qrexec bug. Does it work after reboot?[/code]

i have rebooted everything = nothing changed.

Do you also have any “Failed connect to local daemon” upgrade issue?

That’s why it’s bad to mix two unrelated issues into one thread.

Do you also have any "Failed connect to local daemon" upgrade issue?

well i dont think i have the sure answer for this , but today there was an update for dom0 and i have done it with no problems.is that what is meant by “local daemon”?

i think i have figuered out what the issue is and how to solve it;

the new qubes OS version 3 , it has already installed whonix-ws & whonix-gw (both of them r marked with black color or TemplateVM). now if we do the steps in the whonix-qubes installation which have been mentioned inside this wiki:-

we r going to have 4 whonixes , 2 GW & 2 WS

the problem that we faced me and supporter is:-

we have run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade inside the new whonixes (which they have been created by the installation wiki) but not inside the old or already installed whonixes (which they r installed automatically inside qubes , also they r titled with TemplateVM)

so to solve the issue , we should update&upgrade the packages which r located inside the whonixes which they r makred with TemplateVM (inside qubes VM manager) then we gonna c that the 2 new whonixes (which r installed by the installation wiki) r updated&upgraded already and they doesnt need to do the steps again inside them.

thats how it solved with me.

however, there is one exception which is upgrading the Tor Browser.

we should upgrade the Tor Browser insdie the whonix-ws which is titled with TemplateVM then we go to the new whonix-ws (which is installed by our hands) and we do the same thing.

thats how everything worked with me. hope it helps.

When using non-standalone VMs, you need to update the TemplateVMs.
Tor Browser needs to be updated in the AppVM unfortunately because it’s (must be) stored in the home directory. Use Tor Browser’s internal updater.

When using non-standalone VMs, you need to update the TemplateVMs

so by this statement , why cant we make whonix like a live system (amnesic) when its not TemplateVM and it is persistent when it is TemplateVM?

i have tried to install things inside whonix-ws (which is not TemplateVM) then shutdown whonix then re-open it again = the program has been deleted but what is remaining is the commands in the terminal.

^

if u press | on the keyboard inside the terminal , its going to show what u have typed before.

so maybe it is considered partially amnesic. what i mean is:- making whonix amnesic not necessarily just through CD we can make it inside Qubes OS.

so by this statement , why cant we make whonix like a live system (amnesic) when its not TemplateVM and it is persistent when it is TemplateVM?
what i mean is:- making whonix amnesic not necessarily just through CD we can make it inside Qubes OS.

Will be possible in future. Remaining issues are linked here:

i have tried to install things inside whonix-ws (which is not TemplateVM) then shutdown whonix then re-open it again = the program has been deleted
Short: for TemplateBasedVM, to have packages being persistent you need to install them in the TemplateVM.

Please have a look at Redirecting… and perhaps also a bit at Redirecting….

but what is remaining is the commands in the terminal.
^ if u press | on the keyboard inside the terminal , its going to show what u have typed before.
That's called bash history [and stored in your home folder].