Inconsistent Apparmor

As mentioned in the documentation, using testers repo:

apparmor-profiles-whonix should install the latest for all the individual profiles yet even after installing it, you can install a individual profile which is considered newer.

is apparmor-profiles-whonix still being updated?

installing the latest profiles individually seems to not work at all throwing a lot of errors so I am not sure what I should do. what is the method for getting the newest, working profiles?

apparmor-profiles-whonix is no magic. It just pulls all the available apparmor profiles by Whonix. It’s up to you if you want to install all profiles and do this continently by installing apparmor-profiles-whonix or if you install profiles selectively.

Wait for Whonix 12 or test the Whonix 12 RC ( News - Whonix Forum ). Search and if still needed, post any error messages.

So what you’re saying is installing apparmor-profiles-whonix and let’s say apparmor-profiles-pidgin should both have exact same exact profiles included?

For some reason, once I installed profiles indiviudally it threw a lot of errors for tbb and sdwdate

simi:

So what you’re saying is installing apparmor-profiles-whonix and let’s say apparmor-profiles-pidgin should both have exact same exact profiles included?

apparmor-profiles-whonix effectively includes “no” files.
apparmor-profiles-whonix includes no files to be installed to
/etc/apparmor.d.

Installing apparmor-profiles-whonix only results in installing all its
packages dependencies. That includes apparmor-profile-pidgin.

apparmor-profiles-whonix source code:

Package: apparmor-profiles-whonix
Architecture: all
Depends: apparmor-profile-icedove, apparmor-profile-pidgin,
 apparmor-profile-sdwdate, apparmor-profile-timesync,
 apparmor-profile-torbrowser, apparmor-profile-virtualbox,
 apparmor-profile-whonixcheck, apparmor-profile-xchat,
 apparmor-profile-gwenview, apparmor-profile-okular, ${misc:Depends}
Description: Extra AppArmor profiles developed by the Whonix team
 A metapackage, which installs apparmor profiles developed by the Whonix
team.
 Increases security.
 Safe to remove, if you know what you are doing.

apparmor-profile-torbrowser source code:

For some reason, once I installed profiles indiviudally it threw a lot of errors for tbb and sdwdate

That issue is unrelated to apparmor-profiles-whonix.

I’m not completely understanding…how does installing dependencies differ from actually installing profiles?

There is no difference.