illustrations images wishlist for Whonix

I’ve been offered to have an illustration for Whonix created. At the moment I am out of creativity what to suggest since we have no tickets for graphical TODO at the moment.

(I’ve been PM’d on reddit due to our programmers wanted post.)

The media loves images and illustration images. So do users.

Often when subgraph was in the media, they used this image:
https://subgraph.com/img/sgos.png

Whonix has two illustrations that are sometimes used by the media.

I think there is some room for enhancement here.

Do you have any ideas what kind of illustration images do you suggest for Whonix to be created?

Good day,

I’d say an image not unlike the one used by Subgraph might be a good idea. A single one which shows newcomers the advantages of Whonix in a second.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

I think the “How Whonix Works” picture should combine four things into a complicated illustration like Subgraph’s.

Effectively, you want to show:

1. Separate host OS (Xen or other)
  2. Whonix-WS connecting to a Whonix-GW
  3. Whonix-GW choosing random paths through the Tor network with the last step (often) being an unencrypted link - this could be updated to show encrypted connections if .onions
  4. Stream isolation

If the illustrator is good enough, they need to combine the following three images below into something sensible. It probably could be a 3d image like Subgraph’s to fit it all in.

https://forums.whonix.org/uploads/default/original/1X/cda560447ac50e55d038c45433f54c35d858ff61.jpg

https://forums.whonix.org/uploads/default/original/1X/80d2442ebdef91205851a08745d836f8a95653e3.jpg

2 Likes

Third

Again.

Any graphical illustrations we could use? Various degrees of difficulty?

Do they have the ability to work on the Whonix landing page for Tor Browser or is that out of scope i.e. wiki only?

As previously discussed, it would make a big difference in terms of a positive impression if that page was modern & fresh e.g. modern font, high-def Whonix image, perhaps better color and contrast. Particularly since Tor Browser is the main component used constantly.

1 Like

torjunkie via Whonix Forum:

Do they have the ability to work on the Whonix landing page for Tor Browser or is that out of scope i.e. wiki only?

Landing page vs wiki doesn’t matter. But image (illustration) creation
only. Image creation can be contributed but installation is up to me.

As previously discussed,

Any reference?

it would make a big difference in terms of a positive impression if that page was modern & fresh e.g. modern font, high-def Whonix image, perhaps better color and contrast. Particularly since Tor Browser is the main component used constantly.

No CSS / html possible but I might have someone else for that.

I forget where we chatted about that, maybe earlier in the Long Wiki edits mega-thread. Anyhow, I guess if the contributor would be willing to divvy up a nice high def Whonix logo image that could be inserted into that page, it would be far better than the retro 90s things we have go going on (I think you’d agree?).

1 Like

Anyhow, I guess if the contributor would be willing to divvy up a nice high def Whonix logo image that could be inserted into that page,

Well, as far as the contributor “creativity isn’t included either”. I
need to formulate specific instructions what to do. “Creatively create
something new” isn’t included.

This contribution is limited to “if you have specific ideas about what
illustration to create, it can be created”.

it would be far better than the retro 90s things we have go going on (I think you’d agree?).

No, I would like to to agree or disagree but I really don’t know. Also
heard good things about the current logo. I don’t have tools for
measurement of opinion (well, could make more polls) nor tools of
“objective measurement” if that’s even possible.

What happened to the Whonix logo contest? Someone remind me?

Forgotten about. Was just a wiki page that was never discussed?

Maybe the Whonix logo contest idea should be revived but that should
happen in a dedicated forum thread.

See also logo 2016 vs 2020

Did that help? Good enough?

Related:

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Local browser homepage for Tor Browser in Whonix

Images created:

Seems very possible. Could even be more complex than that but it needs to be drafted.
Graphics only. No technical concept development. A sketch (as you provided) or description required.

2 Likes

Many stock images such as on lets’s say for example Anonymity Operating System Comparison - Whonix ™ vs Tails vs Tor Browser Bundle (which is this image File:Balance-154516-640.png - Whonix at time of writing) are indeed not very customized. These are more of a stopgap than perfect. But that stopgap could go on for years.

Would it be better to have no such thumbnail than a just only good enough one? I think it’s useful to have one that is at least good enough than not having one at all. That is because when these links are shared then on social media, discourse forums, telegram the thumbnail will be shown which leads to better viability, more attention, I think.

Also called illustrative images. Related: Missing Libre Illustrative Images

The illustrative image on…

… looks not stock, looks better, more suitable? Yeah. Something like that for other pages would be nice. Help welcome and without help might not materialize over the years as I am not much working on graphics.