I2P Integration

Just leaving that here. Never seen before. Perhaps useful for something.

2 Likes

@nurmagoz @goldstein-otg I don’t know if anyone has brought i2p-zero to your attention yet, but it might be a way to rely on a simplified java-i2p router without a web interface. Also in the next few months java-i2p should be getting an /etc/i2p.d/-like(Name not settled AFAIK) folder for configuration.

2 Likes

@eyedeekay its developed from monero developers. its good one , but until it becomes stable and uploaded to debian repo it will take ages.

This looks like a great opportunity for collaboration:

2 Likes

I2Pd now added as debian package:

cc @goldstein-otg

2 Likes

i have tested i2pd and tried to see how its working. not a good alternative yet for i2p-java, needs much more years of work to achieve that.

I watched the whole kovri drama and the result (i2p-zero) and i have to agree with @nurmagoz

This would be great :slight_smile:

This is great news, this makes it easier when whonix 15 is ready

I would like to know the reason why you say that ?
I’ve had a short test and the only issue i could see (in a whonix setup) is the missing proxy option in i2pd to reseed , i had no issue on normal debian servers, one router ran over 2 month without an issue.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop :slight_smile:

2 Likes

some stuff i dont like to see when running a software:

• It doesnt run under userspace by default , it needs root privileges to load though you have installed it from debian repo. ( sudo systemctl start i2pd.service not really ideal)

• Its possible to run 2 apps instances just because you run it twice , which something nasty to have:

• doesnt run after booting , you need to run it manually:
  • no checksum hashes for the downloaded provided until now (poor security interest)

…etc so no , its not really ready/stable as I2P-java.

(though its possible to be installed and run side by side with i2p-java)

Anytime, Glad that you still around :wink:

1 Like

@goldstein-otg your github account deleted ? if so please update if there is a new one.

Here you go:
https://bitbucket.org/mutedagain/whonix-i2p-guide/src/master/

Don’t expect anything from me in the near future, got other stuff to worry about.

Until then Goodbye…

1 Like

Bitbucket is acting retarded on archive sites so I used pastebin

https://pastebin.com/raw/bLg2ArZn

1 Like

I see , well good luck with life thanks for all your time and effort here.

Better to use:

to avoid cloudflare captcha

You can just use archive.org and not worry about CAPTCHAs :wink:

We could use i2pbrowser for any kind of local web interface access that requires browser changes such as ZeroNet: Decentralized Censorship-resistant Network.

These changes in git are not too thoroughly tested.

Hopefully not breaking anything.

Related:

What does not work yet is speedy startup in Qubes DispVMs using mount rather than copy. That works for Tor Browser and SecBrowser but not for i2pbrowser. Related source code:

We can’t have more folders in /var/cache/tb-binary (disk space waste) and also not use too many mounts.

Tor Browser / SecBrowser work because only one or the other is expected per VM. Tor Browser in Whonix VMs and Tor Browser or SecBrowser in non-Whonix VMs.

/usr/lib/tb-updater/dispvm does essentially:

mount --bind "/var/cache/tb-binary/.tb" "/home/user/.tb"

But there is no /var/cache/tb-binary/.i2pb folder. And we cannot at the same time…

mount --bind "/var/cache/tb-binary/.tb/torbrowser" "/home/user/.i2pb/i2p-browser"

…since that would make the two browser profiles conflict with each other.

A solution could be to abolish an unconditional systemd unit file /lib/systemd/system/tb-updater-dispvm.service and to have /usr/bin/torbrowser run sudo /usr/lib/tb-updater/dispvm with an /etc/sudoers.d exception. Thereby the extra mount in Qubes DispVM would only be created when actually starting any Tor Browser based browser.

1 Like
2 Likes

Great thread. What is the best solution now, for routing every I2P request through TOR? Using the latest I2P browser in the workstation?

Invisible Internet Project (I2P) page outdated: package i2p not available in Debian bullseye.

if you mean downloading i2p from i2p repository then its gonna work if you change buster to bullseye in i2p source.list . (the wiki just outdated)