I need ur help with an error in starting virtual machines (KVM)

Hello everyone, I’m new and have recently installed Whonix in KVM. everything was working fine until today, but now the VMs start up in a permanent paused state and give the following error when they try to close: Requested operation is not valid: domain is not running.

This is the code from the console below the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 72, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 108, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py", line 1357, in shutdown
    self._backend.shutdown()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 2923, in shutdown
    raise libvirtError('virDomainShutdown() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: Requested operation is not valid: domain is not running

the problem appeared after I started installing the software into the system (official), it just hung and I pressed the “save” button in virtual machines and after rebooting the system and reopening the virtual manager, the problem persisted. I really hope for the help of the community, thanks

help plsssss-.-

something is wrong from your side with libvirt not whonix issue.

which operating system? and did you followed whonix KVM instructions carefully?

Whonix did not write, touch, does not interact with the source code which is responsible for creating that error message.

The issue is unspecific to Whonix.

It most likely can only be resolved as per:

Errors are too cryptic. Please take this up on the libvirt redhat user mailing list support team.

1 Like

VERSION=“21.1 (Vera)” Linux Mint

sure, i do this with official whonix guide. i can delete all now, and do this again

Use Ubuntu instructions in this case from KVM page. or checkout LMDE5 as well.

And preferable if just debian official (you can use even debian testing if you want new packages for your distro).

2 Likes