How to upgrade to Debian Stretch?

I have downloaded whonix about two years ago, using it on virtualbox on Windows? When whonix will start supporting Debian Stretch
and if it supports it how to upgrade? And, by the way, how to check which version of whonix i am using?

Good day,

First of all, there may be some issues with your install of Whonix, seing how the changes from 12 to 13 required a few manual adjustments to operate properly, which likely weren’t done if you just ran “apt-get update && upgrade”. Thus, it might be a good idea to consider a fresh install. Furthermore, Whonix is based on Stable because of the following:

Debian stable receives security fixes faster than Debian testing. For example, by 12/15/2016 Debian jessie was Debian stable and Debian stretch was Debian testing. CVE-2016-1252 was fixed in Debian stable but not in Debian testing, see Debian security tracker by 12/15/2016.

Source: Security-Focused Operating System Comparison as Base for Whonix

Have a nice day,

Ego

Hi Simon707

Whonix 14 will be based on Debian stretch (current stable). Currently there is no official release date but the whonix team is working hard towards making that happen.

With new install you mean i have to download the whonix-installer.exe, correct?
Upgrading to debian stretch will be great because some of the programs like - ricochet, plank, are not available in debian jessie repository, and some - like pidgin, are old version.

Good day,

In your case, it would be much simpler to import the new images and go that route.

Have a nice day,

Ego

From where to download the images? The download page for Windows points only to the whonix installer.

Good day,

Actually, it links here too: Whonix ™ for Windows, macOS, Linux inside VirtualBox

Have a nice day,

Ego