How to set / confirm gateway socks user/pass for XChat

Using Whonix 10 Workstation, I figured I would hop in Whonix IRC channel, but I am unable to connect. This is the connection message:

* Looking up irc.oftc.net
* Looking up 10.137.3.1
* Connecting to 10.137.3.1 (10.137.3.1) port 9101...
 No channel joined. Try /join #<channel>
* Connection failed. Error: SSL handshake timed out
* Looking up irc.oftc.net
* Looking up 10.137.3.1
* Connecting to 10.137.3.1 (10.137.3.1) port 9101...
* Connection failed. Error: SSL handshake timed out

10.137.3.1 IP address is the gateway IP address and I can telnet to that IP address at port 9101 so it is reachable. XChat setting for proxy contain an option for username and password which have been preset to ‘XChat’.

Could the problem here be that the ‘XChat’ user name and password are not set on the gateway?

The socks username is useful for stream isolation. Otherwise ignored. And very unlikely to cause any issues. That’s a super simple Tor feature. IsolateSOCKSAuth

More likely the irc network did not accept connections from the Tor network [from that exit] at that time. Happens every now and then to me. Changing Tor circuit might help. Another irc network might work fine. (Not freenode, that’s specifically difficult to connect to using Tor.)

[quote=“Patrick, post:2, topic:1088”]The socks username is useful for stream isolation. Otherwise ignored. And very unlikely to cause any issues. That’s a super simple Tor feature. IsolateSOCKSAuth

More likely the irc network did not accept connections from the Tor network [from that exit] at that time. Happens every now and then to me. Changing Tor circuit might help. Another irc network might work fine. (Not freenode, that’s specifically difficult to connect to using Tor.)[/quote]

Okay, thanks for the explanation; no wonder I could not find the setting :slight_smile:

I was just trying to connect to your IRC channel. I may try later.