How to connect Ubuntu VM directly to a wifi adapter independent of host?

1. If i install expansion pack, install drivers for my wifi adapter (inside my ubuntu VM), insert wifi adapter, left klick on the usb i the right corner in side Ubunu. connects to the wifi adapter that supposedly appearance here at this point?

2. Now enters settings of my ubuntu vm from virtual box and under networking settings bridged adapter (instead of NAT) and connect to the wifi adapter that supposedly work at this point?

Will I now have a Ubuntu VM that connects to the wifi adapter independently of host? Possible reversing the order of 1 and 2.

I don’t see how this is related to Whonix. Please ask about this on the VBox forums.

1 Like

Yes, also Ubuntu seems related.

As per Self Support First Policy for Whonix

Probable background:

With all youre respect it is related becous whonix is based on ubuntu.

Hence my final gole, conecting whonix to wifi adapte (See probobal background), is unlikly to work unless conecting Ubuntu to wifi adapter independent of host.

I dont know what further obstacles might be related to conecting whonix but this seams to be a good starting point.

Im happy that the thread whasent removed by the way.Hope fully some one can bring claraty to this.

Patric, do you have the answer for this qustion?

No worries. No such intention at this point. Just explaining Self Support First Policy for Whonix, responsibilities (due to lack of better term).

Not at time of writing.

See Based on Debian.

Figuring out how to connect Ubuntu VM directly to a wifi adapter independent of host is a good exercise indeed if you later try to solve Is it possible to configure Whonix-Gatway through USB dongle?. And even better exercise would be connect Debian VM directly to a wifi adapter independent of host.
However, this exercise can be perfectly done without involving Whonix support. Since Whonix isn’t involved for the prerequisite, exercise, Self Support First Policy for Whonix applies.

Though, I should add I suggest this as exercise:

connect Debian VM directly to a wifi adapter independent of host

• a Debian VM
  • preferably using the buster release since that was that Whonix version at time of writing number 15 is using
  • inside VM using ifupdown (that is because Whonix-Gateway uses ifupdown, not network manager or systemd-networkd at time of writing) [1]
  • disconnect host internet for testing purposes

Asking for Is it possible to configure Whonix-Gatway through USB dongle? getting implemented is a feature request. See Community Feedback. Making that happen requires contributions - such as solving that exercise independently.

[1] That seems simpler than trying to port Whonix-Gateway to network manager or systemd-networkd. ifupdown perhaps in combination with Debian -- Details of package wpasupplicant in buster but it’s been a while since I used that.