How I Fixed Whonix Issues

This post is expecting that you use Whonix on QUBES.

It seems that whonix now supports the newest release of tor. If you were like me and jerry rigged it initially and then updated with the internal update tool you may have fucked your whonix templates.

I was experiencing issues like sys-whonix not connecting and pages half loading. I managed to fix all of these issues by reinstalling my whonix gateway and workstation templates.

This can be done easily through dom0 and there is even documentation providing all the commands. It will not let me link the documentation but Iā€™m sure the mods can confirm in the comments of this post.

The exact process I followed:

#1. Set dom0 update qube to sys-firewall and make sure there is internet access. If you wish to hide the whonix download from your ISP - go on public wifi or setup a temporary vpn or tor router. Please keep in mind I NEVER recommend VPN ā†’ TOR. This is only for the reinstallation of these templates so your ISP does not see whonix.

#2. Go inside of the disposable terminal inside of dom0 and run the following command to update dom0:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --show-output --console

#3. Run the following command to update and reinstall whonix gateway 17:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community --action=upgrade qubes-template-whonix-gateway-17

#4. Run the following command to update and reinstall whonix workstation 17:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community --action=upgrade qubes-template-whonix-workstation-17

#5. Once it is all done close the dom0 terminal and go to the build in qubes template update GUI tool. Select just the whonix workstation and gateway qubes and click update. They should already have updated themselves but this is just redundancy.

#6. All done. Your half page load and connection issues should be solved.

I hope this has helped some people!

2 Likes