Higher resolution desktop

I followed it to the letter this time but same outcome.

I don’t think it changes anything. The only enhancement I can think of is for whonixadvanced setup or whatever you see fit for this, to the range of resolutions qxl supports upon first run for users to select from. If this is too time consuming, forget about it.

Also what would be a good default choice?

Resolution seems quite fragmented.

What do most users use on the host?

Which KVM resolution by default would they most benefit? And would we screw up things for other users by shipping another resolution the default in KVM?

A sane default is the one most widely used, which happens to be 1366x768

Which KVM resolution by default would they most benefit? And would we screw up things for other users by shipping another resolution the default in KVM?

Its easy to switch resolutions from the KDE settings menu. we can make a short note about it in documentation for people unfamiliar with KDE, but I don’t think its needed.

Having 1024x768 as a default annoys pretty much everyone using Whonix as its mostly gone now.

New page https://github.com/Whonix/kde-common-resolution will be installed by default in Whonix 10 and above. It ships a setting to set resolution to 1366x768 in KDE and VirtualBox (the latter won’t work until we sort out the issue with VirtualBox and resolutions without guest additions) in KDE.

Entirely untested!

I don’t really care much for VirtualBox but I want to still help you support this for it.

Does it only work with it using instructions here? If not then this page can be deprecated.

That page will still be required for VirtualBox. The package might at best only set 1366x768 for KVM users and do nothing for VirtualBox users (due to the other issue(s) with VirtualBox). But… When these VBox issues are solved, this package may at best set 1366x768 for KVM as well as for VirtualBox users.

• Migration status for xserver-xorg-video-qxl (- to 0.1.5+git20200331-3): BLOCKED: Rejected/violates migration policy/introduces a regression
  • Issues preventing migration:
  • ∙ ∙ Updating xserver-xorg-video-qxl would introduce bugs in testing: #1004154

If Debian fixed https://bugs.debian.org/1004154 this Debian testing migration bug might fix itself. But if not, then I don’t know.