Help: Post install error: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)

Hello guys:

Host PC: gateway NE 522 laptop
CPU: AMD Dual-Core Processor E1-2500
Host OS: Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop
VirtualBox v4.2.36_ubunutu 98988

This is a fresh install of host system and fresh install of Virtualbox and Whonix. I downloaded the images and import the appliances into virtualbox just fine. After the install, when i go to launch the gateway and workstation for the first time, i get this error message. Any idea what this means?

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Whonix-Workstation.

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS). (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

SOLUTION:

I played around with the settings and figured out the problem. I downloaded the 32-bit version of both the Whonix gateway and workstation. Turned off the V-threading feature found in Settings > System > Acceleration tab > uncheck box “Enable Vt/AMD-V”. Click save changes and now start VM.

Loaded right up!

Enable Vt/AMD-V in BIOS is a better solution performance wise.

how do i do that?

Im sorta new at this VM sceme. Im runing whonix inside Virtual Box. how do you access the BIOS in a VM?

Good day,

AMD-V is actually a technology which, very simply put, accelerates your virtual machines. Do do this, it needs to be active on the host computer. You may activate it, by entering the BIOS of your PC before booting into any OS, not enter a “BIOS” in VirtualBox. That’s actually not even possible, since customizing the settings of the virtual BIOS may be done using the normal settings.

Have a nice day,

Ego