[graphical gui] Whonix Setup Wizard / Anon Connection Wizard - Technical Discussion

iry:

One disadvantage (or advantage in other terms) of using systemctl is the error message is too general. Usually Tor fails because there is corrupted torrc settings but it never says. It would be helpful if we can at least inform user it is some corrupted torrc setting that make Tor fails to start, like this:

sudo /usr/bin/tor --defaults-torrc /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc -f /etc/tor/torrc --RunAsDaemon 0 --verify-config ; echo $?
Mar 15  [notice] Tor 0.3.2.10 (git-0edaa32732ec8930) running on Linux with Libevent 2.0.21-stable, OpenSSL 1.0.1t, Zlib 1.2.8, Liblzma 5.2.2, and Libzstd N/A.
Mar 15  [notice] Tor can't help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at https://www.torproject.org/download/download#warning
Mar 15  [notice] Read configuration file "/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc".
Mar 15  [notice] Read configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc".
Mar 15  [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Unknown option 'ds'.  Failing.
Mar 15  [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

Run sudo -u debian-tor tor --verify-confg?

1 Like

Hi Patrick!

Sorry for the confusion. Above error is what I intentionally made by writing garbage in /etc/tor/torrc, so no worries. :slight_smile:

sudo tor V.S. sudo -u debian-tor tor

There is a torrc option User which is in the torrc:

user@host:~$ cat /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc | grep User
User debian-tor

When User option is set, we can simply use sudo tor and tor will be run as debian-tor.

When User option is set, when we do sudo -u debian-tor tor, tor will fail to start and complain:

Mar 15 14:56:22.015 [warn] Error setting groups to gid 115: "Operation not permitted".
Mar 15 14:56:22.015 [warn] Tor is already running as debian-tor.  You do not need the "User" option if you are already running as the user you want to be.  (If you did not set the User option in your torrc, check whether it was specified on the command line by a startup script.)
Mar 15 14:56:22.015 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Problem with User value. See logs for details.
Mar 15 14:56:22.015 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

Considering User debian-tor option is used by default in Whonix and Debian package, we may use sudo tor here.

iry:

Hi Patrick!

Sorry for the confusion. Above error is what I intentionally made by writing garbage in /etc/tor/torrc, so no worries. :slight_smile:

sudo tor V.S. sudo -u debian-tor tor

There is a torrc option User which is in the torrc:

user@host:~$ cat /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc | grep User
User debian-tor

When User option is set, we can simply use sudo tor and tor will be run as debian-tor.

When User option is set, when we do sudo -u debian-tor tor, tor will fail to start and complain:

Mar 15 14:56:22.015 [warn] Error setting groups to gid 115: "Operation not permitted".
Mar 15 14:56:22.015 [warn] Tor is already running as debian-tor.  You do not need the "User" option if you are already running as the user you want to be.  (If you did not set the User option in your torrc, check whether it was specified on the command line by a startup script.)
Mar 15 14:56:22.015 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Problem with User value. See logs for details.
Mar 15 14:56:22.015 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

Considering User debian-tor option is used by default in Whonix and Debian package, we may use sudo tor here.

If we run under user debian-tor most likely we should run tor --verify-config without sudo user change?

1 Like

Yes. And you also need to remove User debian-tor from torrc if whoami is debian-tor.

1 Like

Debian original cat /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc includes

User debian-tor

So I wouldn’t want to remove it from /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc.anondist. I would like to abolish /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc.anondist and go back to original /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc as soon as torrc.d is sorted.

1 Like

To clarify, we assume user in Whonix will run Tor using sudo but under user, right? If so, there is no need to and we should not remove User debian-tor from default torrc because everything just works as expected. :slight_smile:

1 Like

iry:

To clarify, we assume user in Whonix will run Tor using sudo but under user, right? If so, there is no need to and we should not remove User debian-tor from default torrc because everything just works as expected. :slight_smile:

Whonix runs Tor under systemd unit file by tor package with defaults
torrc by tor package. We don’t run Tor using sudo.

As for tor verify config: whatever works.

1 Like

TODO: Better error and debugging report should be provided. Patrick has reminded me about this for a while. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Could you post a Debian RFP (request for packaging) for ACW please?

Do you think you could get ACW uploaded to packages.debian.org?

And or do you think you could in long term become a Debian maintainer?

Once we got a “foot into the door” in packages.debian.org this could help immensely simplifying Whonix contributions, I think:

• upload genmkfile
  • upload anon-shared-helper-scripts

Then ACW could depend on anon-shared-helper-scripts without causing dependency troubles for contributors.

I would love to post a RFP. But I think anon-connection-wizard is not generic, robust, beautiful enough to get into Debian, currently. I will focus on the further improvement after Whonix 14 is released. And then do a RFP. :slight_smile:

Yes! That is a secret desire of mine.

I totally agree.

I am not sure if it generic enough to be uploaded to Debian. But, well we have a goal now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One potentially useful way:

http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/t/whonixcheck-whonix-14-ideas/2456/16

1 Like

Trying to fix auxiliary issue in bootstrap phase: unknown bootstrap tag. in most cases this is harmless please contact support

Hello,
in the anon_connection_wizard.py file (anon-connection-wizard/anon_connection_wizard.py at master · Kicksecure/anon-connection-wizard · GitHub), at 1590 row, is there a “except selftem.connection.IncorrectCookieSize :” Maybe the correct form is not selftem but should be stem, right?
For the next Tor updates (as the 0.4.5.7) maybe you could get an error like “RuntimeError: dictionary keys changed during iteration”. If it happens, just edit the “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/stem/control.py ” file by changing the 2273 row to “for key in list(reply): ” (so, adding list() ) Source: python - How to avoid "RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iteration" error? - Stack Overflow

Let me know if this fix will be applied.

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks!

Did you experience that issue?

Whonix for VirtualBox - 15.0.1.7.2 - Point Release! contains:

anon-info

INFO: version of the ‘tor’ package: 0.4.5.7-1~d10.buster+1

Didn’t have such an issue but then perhaps you tested this more? Or did a code review?

dpkg -S /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/stem/control.py

python3-stem: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/stem/control.py

That package is maintained by The Tor Project (upstream).

Could you please check if that if fixed upstream? If not, report a bug upstream?

source: fork the project (#40010) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / lyrebird · GitLab