Google Season of Docs (GSoD) 2019

April 22, 2019

The Whonix team has exciting news to share with our community!

The Whonix project has applied to the Google Season of Docs 2019! If you are unfamiliar with the Season of Docs that’s OK because this is the first year of the program. Once you learn more about the program and how it benefits open-source you will be just as enthusiastic about participating as we are.

Season of Docs is Google’s annual program that fosters collaboration between open-source project and tech writers.
The goal of this program is to provide a framework for technical writers and open source projects to work together towards the common goal of improving an open source project’s documentation. For technical writers who are new to open source, the program provides an opportunity to gain experience in contributing to open source projects. For technical writers who’re already working in open source, the program provides a potentially new way of working together. Season of Docs also gives open source projects an opportunity to engage more of the technical writing community.

During the program, technical writers spend a few months working closely with an open source community. They bring their technical writing expertise to the project’s documentation, and at the same time learn about the open source project and new technologies.

The open source projects work with the technical writers to improve the project’s documentation and processes. Together they may choose to build a new documentation set, or redesign the existing docs, or improve and document the open source community’s contribution procedures and on-boarding experience.[1],[2]

For those of you that are familiar with the Whonix wiki aka “A crash course in anonymity and security on the Internet” you’ll know why Season of Docs is such an extraordinary opportunity for both our project and open-source. As you know the Whonix wiki is a corner stone of our project which is why we put forth such an extensive amount of time and effort to ensure it stays relevant and up to date. Season of Docs presents an unique opportunity for our project to both enhance our(yours, mine, everyone’s) wiki and to give back by mentoring an up and coming technical writer from the greater open-source community

If you’re a technical writer that’s interested in submitting a project proposal check out the project ideas we have for you at our dedicated Season of Docs wiki. If you don’t find your perfect fit, but have a great project proposal we would be eager to hear about it. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Do you know a tech writer that might be interested in Season of Docs? You can use this sample email message to give them the information they need to get started.

Whats made our project and wiki such a success over the years is the continuing involvement from our awesome community. And Season of Docs is no different. So if you would like to become involved with this years program and support open-source, and the Whonix project, it will make this first year of Season of Docs the one to remember and we can set the bar high for the coming years to come.

On behalf of the Whonix team we would like to thank you for all of your support and we look forward to your participation, feedback and unending enthusiasm for this years’ program.

[1] Introduction  |  Google Season of Docs  |  Google Developers
[2] Portions of this page are modifications based on work created and shared by Google and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution License.

4 Likes

The tunnel tutorials and Hardened Debian project ideas are the most interesting to me. Tunnels wiki is very popular and really needs to be refactored. Hardened Debian has not been started yet. It would be lots of fun to break ground on a whole new project – both wiki and org (its possible Hardened Debian could have its own website).

It would be hard to choose if I had to pick one.

What would be your preference if you had to choose a project idea?

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

My name is Alberto and I would like to contribute to Whonix documentation for the Google Summer of Docs (GSOD) 2019.

I’ve been checking the projects suggested for the GSOD 2019, and I’d be very interested in participating in any of them actually.
I find easier to accomplish the project “Document Installation and Setup of the New Security-focused Hardened Debian Linux Distribution” and the project “Refactor Whonix ™ in VirtualBox Tutorial for First-time Linux Users”.
I think I could provide this documentation with a lot of value and better new user’s experience.

The project “Refactor “Combining Tunnels with Tor” Tutorials” looks very interesting but far more challenging as well. However, I would also be open to face this project so that I can help and also learn much more about the topic.

Kind regards!

Alberto R.

4 Likes

Great to see another tech writer interested in collaborating with the Whonix project! All of the project ideas would be of great value to the project. Try choosing one that will be both challenging and fun for you. The Whonix developers are looking for tech writers that are can-doers. Meaning minimal over site is needed . We want to see that you are mostly self sufficient and motivated. Please feel free to ask any questions and don’t be hesitant about taking the initiative to move forward with your project.

Welcome to the Whonix community!

5 Likes

Hi,

I am a sophomore at IIIT Delhi enrolled in Bachelors of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering. I am a Computer Science: expert answerer at Chegg.

I want to apply for Document Installation and Setup of the New Security-focused Hardened Debian Linux Distribution . I have some prior experience with Linux and know how to use Virtual Box. I feel this project is very apt for me. Should I start working on the proposal or should I make a short glimpse of how the guide will look?

1 Like

Welcome to the Whonix forums abhinandan! Its very exciting to see more interest in the Hardened Debian project.

You can do either. However, a short overview of your project idea will allow to community to give valuable feedback which you can leverage to improve your project proposal. That is what I would recommend. If there is anything i can do to help, please let me me know.

1 Like

I am starting with the short overview of the project. It will take around a week. Should i share the document link of my proposal and overview in the comment sections? Also, I wanted to clarify if you have any preference among the listed projects.

1 Like

This thread is better if left for introductions. For your overview, it would be a good idea to either use an existing thread or create a new one.

For example, if you want ot work on Hardened Debian…

The current Hardened Debian might be a little to crowded for your complete overview. But adding a link to your overview would would be fine.

http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/t/document-hardened-debian-setup/7078

If you wanted to create a thread just for your project overview, meaning write your documentation here. The Website thread will work great for that.

http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/c/website

Choose a project that is both interesting and exciting for you. Pick whatever you would like. :slight_smile:

2 Likes