Global keyboard shortcuts for Kgpg on Whonix 8

Kgpg > key management > settings > keyboard shortcuts > Global Column can’t be changed.

Tried to run it as root but it dies with

DBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
unnamed app(25264): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 

unnamed app(25263): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly. 

And I’m not even sure if it would solve anything.

I’m trying to add Kgpg’s decrypt clipboard and encrypt clipboard function globally, it would make my life much easier.

Thanks for the help!

Can you help please fixing this bug?

Can you check please if this happens on Debian testing as well?

If so, report a bug against Debian and/or kde? That’s most we can do.

I think this is just me being incompetent and missing something really obvious.

I can offer a beer as a bounty, and an other one for the triple post I made by accident earlier, so 2 beers in bitcoins! :slight_smile:

If you reliably manage to crash that applications by just clicking a few buttons… That’s a bug. Not your fault.

I couldn’t reproduce it yet since I have no idea why you mean by “Global Column can’t be changed.”.

Kgpg > key management > settings > keyboard shortcuts >

I want to make the “Decrypt clipboard” shortcut globally available, so it will work in any window not just when Kgpg is the active one.

This is the goal, I can’t make it happen, don’t know how.

Kgpg > key management > settings > keyboard shortcuts >
There are 3 columns
1- shortcut
2 - alternate
3 - global

It’s possible to edit the first two and add a trigger, but not possible to edit the global column.

Are you sure you are using Whonix 8?

I am not seeing any shortcut for either “clipboard” nor “decrypt”. Can you tell me search term that works?

I think you are looking at Kgpg’s editor window instead of the Kgpg’s Key management window.

I managed to interact with kgpg’s decrypt clipboard function with qdbus now, but realized it’d be better to use klipper + global shortcuts + gpg command line.

Goal:

If klipper finds a

• pgp message on the clipboard it changes the clipboard content with the decrypted message, and pops up the clipboard contents to the user.
  • public key on the clipboard, it provides two options
    – add it to the keychain
    – encrypt a message to it, for this it pops up a clipboard editor where I write the msg, then press ctrl+shift+e (global shortcut runs a cli magic script) and the clipboard contents changes to the encrypted message

Or I write the msg in any editor, copy it to the clipboard, press ctrl+e and kgpg’s “encrypt clipboard” function is called through qdbus, this pops up a window where the key can be selected or searched for.
Or something along these lines.

I have to deal with a lot of encrypted text that comes from the browser, takes a lot of time to copy it into an editor, decrypt, write password, copy again to it’s final place, but encryption is worse:
Write msg > encrypt > look for the key, can’t find it because it has a different name than the user who messaged me, so import the key again but since it’s on the keychain Kgpg only shows the keyid, and Kgpg’s key list can’t be searched for keyID only name or email.

Thanks for your time btw, I will send you 3 beers tomorrow.

Beers sent, it will show up in a couple of minutes.

Do not waste any more time on this, but if anyone knows a convenient and fast way to use GPG please point me to the right direction