FS-VERITY in Linux 5.4

It does work as /apps is a complete chroot due to the mounting.

I don’t think there’s any real difference.

A wrapper executes chroot /apps apt $@.

CoreOS has an “update_engine” but I don’t know if it’s the same.

Someone mentioned Silverblue to Daniel and he responded:

no
it’s less bad
it doesn’t do it the way that I’m saying and it probably makes systemd much harder to avoid
I don’t think any of the existing OSes is a useful starting point beyond for use as a way to generate templates

i.e. we have to do it ourselves.

1 Like

Make as few outside-chroot programs process any data inside-chroot for better isolation?

I guess that needs the stackable wrappers?

A wrapper executes chroot /apps apt $@ .

That’s also better since it uses chroot’s apt.

Android update_engine changed license from BSD to Apache
Re-license update_engine to Apache2 · AOSiP/platform_system_update_engine@aea4c1c · GitHub and Copyright (c) 2010 The Chromium OS Authors.

And CoreOS update_engine also has Copyright (c) 2010 The Chromium OS Authors..

At the moment I am not trying to replace Debian / Fedora with a more-secure-by-default base distribution that packages its own wayland, firefox, and whatnot. That would require a complete re-focus. Totally different project. It’s also probably more of an organizational, social challenge. Would need to get a sufficiently big team to join, i.e. maintainers. And then somehow vet these maintainers. Have trusted people that likely won’t be adding backdoors. Before that I also probably would have to try to change Debian / Fedora from the inside first by contributing to them. Also talking to more people from there to see how such an organization works to learn how to build one.

2 Likes

Apt isn’t going to be run inside sandbox-app-launcher as that’d break it so the only isolation would be the chroot which isn’t much isolation at all, especially for root processes.

We can harden chroots to make them give proper isolation like grsecurity’s chroot hardening. I could probably extract that and send it to linux-hardened but I don’t think there’d be much advantage.

There is apparmor-profile-everything’s apt-get profile (it needs more hardening though) for actual isolation but that’s not related to this.

Yes.

FYI AOSiP is a custom ROM, not official AOSP.

What if we were to package a few “core” packages ourselves while still being based on Debian? i.e. whonix.org can provide the base system compiled with clang for CFI, musl etc. with proper security updates.

We don’t need to replicate all of Debian’s packages but just a few main ones.

It’s a compromise for better security but not the best as that’s not currently maintainable.

1 Like

Yes, I took a lazy shortcut not looking at AOSP update_engine source code and assumed AOSiP wouldn’t be much different. Yes interesting to see the connection of Chromium OS with update_engine.

How few are a few?
Also requires a solution for Selecting Secure Packages from packages.debian.org - i.e. objective, doable criteria for judging secure vs non-secure.

How’s that possible?
Use newer software from upstream as they release and package? Well, that’s not going to fly well due to dependency issues. New versions don’t work with Debian stable. Would be similar to mixing Debian testing with Debian stable which doesn’t work great.

• One could also argue in theory (but not in practice) Debian testing is more secure than Debian stable since Debian testing sticks closer to upstream releases. (That however doesn’t hold true during periods of Debian freeze.)
  • One could also argue in theory (but again not in practice) that Debian sid is more secure than Debian stable since Debian sid sticks closer to upstream releases. (Ignoring that sid is unstable indeed.)
  • Debian rolling was an idea but it didn’t materialize.

A rolling distribution - not “really” rolling but mostly rolling at long periods distribution - Debian testing - was unsuitable as base for Whonix, see Why is Whonix ™ based on Debian Stable, not Debian Testing?

Therefore I don’t think this is feasible with the current project resources.

1 Like

It could be anything. We can make a small list of commonly used packages. Especially packages that parse untrusted input e.g. a document viewer.

We can package the dependencies too but that might not work out well.

Even without the proper security updates, things like CFI alone would be great.

1 Like

For now, this is infeasible:

1 Like

Compiling our own packages or dm-verity? dm-verity sounds pretty feasible.

1 Like

That’s why my last post was about, yes.

That one might be doable indeed.

1 Like

Can we use ostree in Debian to accomplish the same?

@madaidan can you focus on getting a firejail alternative off the ground instead of extending scope too much? Perfect is enemy of the good.

What do you think sandbox-app-launcher is?

Good stuff. I thought from this discussion that progress is contingent on getting ostree to work on Debian which can take a while.

1 Like

Instead of update_engine, we can look into the CLIP OS system updater.

https://docs.clip-os.org/clipos/update.html

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yubikey is a proprietary meme. non-libre TPMs are not much better and have a history of being vulnerable to divulging secrets.

I am interested to see how well this functions with KVM’s virtual TPM however.

1 Like

Interesting nonetheless. Would consider contributions. Not going to happen anytime soon due to many tasks.

Most hardware is proprietary. Yubikey/TPMs aren’t any worse.

Everything has had vulnerabilities and I don’t see how TPMs are especially bad. Would you rather have your encryption keys be stored totally unprotected?

Never mind that you can never trust key material generated by the TPM as its RNG is closed and they can keep copies of it at the factory. However any storage feature defects caused by their firmware can never be patched by anyone but them. Assuming they care to invest in security patching and didn;’ go out of business. That’s the problem of designating a closed piece of hardware as your root of trust. A FLOSS smartcard is a much better option.

1 Like

Proprietary or not is irrelevant. Free software is just as easily backdoored. For example, look at OpenSSL’s Heartbleed. There was a critical vulnerability introduced into a mostly useless part of the software that went undetected for years. Or the Debian OpenSSL bug. Or the hundreds of vulnerabilities in Linux found each month. etc.

You have no idea if any of these were backdoors or not. Backdoors are not going to be obvious. They are going to be obscure bugs that can be passed off as a simple mistake once found and software being open source will not save you.

Open source does not mean “unbackdoorable” or secure.

Even if you had FOSS hardware, you wouldn’t be able to verify that the hardware runs the code they give you anyway.

Some smartcard is also not as secure as a proper TPM.

I am talking about the ability of the user to get/create security updates for the proprietary firmware. I never claimed open was magically bug free.

1 Like