[fixed] fresh install whonix 9.6 , tor wont start

i have installed whonix 9.6 with stable repository, and all worked perfectly except tor, it wont start however i tried to make it run. the connection is working because i can update and upgrade the machine. also i dont know where to go to provide an additional infos because there is no error or warning messages. thnx

How do you know it does not start?

What does whonixcheck say?

For additional info for now, please run these commands.

when i double-click tor the pointer stuck with tor symbol for a while like this:-

whonix check results:-

the commands results:-

Your screenshot links are broken.

free the javascript if u r using noscript

links of the images if u still cant c them:-

http://s15.postimg.org/obus5w9bd/stuck_pointer.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/41o082usv/whonix_check.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/yr0onm7vz/commands.jpg

also i want to ask about why there is over 100 updates when i first time check for updates in whonix 9.6 ? shouldnt be less? because we r going to decrease the time consuming and also being more preventable from errors if we have at least 20-50 outdated packages ?

if we upload whonix from time to time witha updates , i think its even going to lower the mitm attacks (because we r going to lower the number of ppl whos going to answer Y to the warning updates -which r mostly dangerous-).

Just post links. No need to use the image tag or something. Anyhow. Could view these now.

You should run these commands on the gateway, because that’s where Tor is running.

Anyhow. I don’t see any issues on that screenshots. Seems to be all working. (Except for the messed up task bar, but that doesn’t affect Tor / security / whatever. Just usability. If you don’t mind, there is no issue. Otherwise just do a usual restore of the taskbar.)

[quote=“nurmagoz, post:6, topic:1041”]also i want to ask about why there is over 100 updates when i first time check for updates in whonix 9.6 ? shouldnt be less? because we r going to decrease the time consuming and also more preventable from errors if we have at least 20-50 outdated packages ?

if we upload whonix from time to time witha updates , i think its even going to lower the mitm attacks (because we r going to lower the number of ppl whos going to answer Y to the warning updates -which r mostly dangerous-).[/quote]
It’s not about numbers. Smaller number doesn’t mean safer. That’s why documentation recommends to upgrade before other use. If there was an remotely exploitable bug in apt-get, then a new image would be required otherwise users would be at risk.

Sure, always fresh images that need better images would be better from a usability perspective also. Ready to go after import. The short answer, this does not have high enough priority. Yes, it’s a non-perfection. There is not enough resources to maintain this. It’s not a multi 100 K USD company with 10 - 100 employees, that can do continued rebuilds, testing by employees, signing, upload, support and whatnot.

all seems normal but the problem persistent :frowning:

http://postimg.org/image/ikv1yftxf/

any other methods ?

btw i have installed whonix 10 , it works perfectly. but i dont know whats wrong with 9.6

Sure, always fresh images that need better images would be better from a usability perspective also. Ready to go after import. The short answer, this does not have high enough priority. Yes, it's a non-perfection. There is not enough resources to maintain this. It's not a multi 100 K USD company with 10 - 100 employees, that can do continued rebuilds, testing by employees, signing, upload, support and whatnot.

well yeah i can understand… but one day we will :wink:

I don’t understand what the problem is? whonixcheck in gateway and workstation doesn’t report any issues? Internet in Whonix-Workstation is functional?

internet in whonix workstation is functional , and i even tried whonix 10 workstation with whonix 9.6 gateway the connection is working.

i think the problem in tor which is located inside the workstation not tor connection which is inside the gateway.

is there a way to re-install tor which is inside the workstation? because i think this is the only way available to c where is the root of the problem.

There is no Tor in Whonix-Workstation 9.6.

There is only Tor Browser.

Make sure you’ve read this:

after the last updates to whonix , the tor browser worked. (i donno why it happened at the first time , nor i know how it got solved).