File transfer through vdi

Patrick

I downloaded ~.ova’s for release 9 instead. Again, tried to follow instructions per [url=https://www.whonix.org/wiki/File_Transfer#Transfer_files_from_the_Whonix_Workstation_into_a_different_Whonix-Workstation_through_a_VDI_file]File Transfer - Whonix.

Got as far as instantiating a VDI on workstation 8.x and transferring my data to it successfully. However, I cannot mount the VDI to workstation 9.x. Followed instructions to copy VDI via virtualbox media manager, and added copy to workstation 9.x storage configuration. When I start workstation 9.x it does not recognize ‘sdb1’ ergo I cannot mount.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thx

Just did that today earlier. Works for me.

The copy feature didn’t work for me though. I just added the vdi that I used in one VM in another VM.

Patrick et al

Concur! Files transfer between VM’s work albeit…

I don’t understand why [url=https://www.whonix.org/wiki/File_Transfer#Transfer_files_from_the_Whonix_Workstation_into_a_different_Whonix-Workstation_through_a_VDI_file]File Transfer - Whonix does not seem to work - the directions seem logical.

Here are the steps I followed (similar to Patrick’s):…

• instantiated a ~.vmdk [not ~.vdi though I think either should work] on ‘src’ VM (release 8.x workstation) via VB’s settings
  • powered on ‘src’ VM
  • followed commands per link above:
    • ‘sudo fdisk…’
    • ‘sudo mkfs.ext4…’
    • ‘mkdir temp’
    • ‘sudo mount…’
    • copied all necessary files to ~.vmdk
    • ‘sudo umount temp’
    • ‘sudo poweroff’

Here I deviated from original instructions.

• removed ~.vmdk from ‘src’ VM via settings
  • added previously instantiated ~.vmdk to ‘dst’ VM via storage settings
  • powered on ‘dst’ VM
  • after startup, “ls -al /dev/sd*” reveals the presence of ‘sdb1’ partition on ‘sdb’ [corresponding to ~.vmdk]
  • ‘sudo mount /dev/sdb1 temp’ [ ‘temp’ previously instantiated w. “777” permissions]

Above outlined steps worked for me. Not sure whether unmounting step on ‘src’ VM was/is significant or not.

PS: I’d like to update the ‘file transfer’ document to reflect above.

mutsuura

Sounds good. Yes, please update them. (Editing works with and without account.) (Changes will be approved by an admin before they go visible to everyone [mostly within 24 hours].)

File transfer document updated.

There are no changes on File Transfer - Whonix. (Permission error - Whonix)